Worcester 24i RSF combi Hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I have a problem with my Worcester, whats happens is when I demand hot water I have to turn on and off my hot water tap about 10 times or so to get the boiler to stay lit. The boiler ignites every time but has what seems to be a weak flame then cuts out. If I turn on the central heating (which ignites 1st time) the hot water works fine.
Could anyone please give any advice.

Many thanks in advance everyone

Steve

Sponsored Links
Why do you say a weak flame ? - am not sure of your boiler coponents without looking at the manual, but from what you said sounds like a diverter valve/flow swicth problem

Hi Jackecole,
Thanks for the reply. Regards the weak flame - as I switch the hot water tap on the boiler goes through its sequence and the pilot light ignites which seems a much smaller flame, then fades out, as opposed to when I switch the central heating on, the pilot light seems a much stronger flame before the boiler ignites properly.

you may need a gas safe enginneeer to check your burner pressure(s) and gas rate, but when you open the hot tap tap, does the boiler ignite only now and then for hot water?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the boiler ignites but doesn't stay lit. Only after about 10 or so times of turning the hot tap on and off does the boiler eventually stay on.

Many thanks

sounds like a thermister to me for the domestic hot water, is your central heating working without problems,

I think the flame may not be being correctly detected as a result of the gas settings being incorrect.

If thats the case you need a competent boiler engineer who knows how to set the gas valve properly, not all do. More like over 50% dont.

Tony

Thanks very much for your help guys. BG are advertising a one of payment of £168 to fix regardless. It's just £168 is hard to come by at the moment. Do you think It's worth it.

Cheers

Sorry dwbbill, regarding your previous question, yeah the central heating works fine. I have no problems with the hot water in the winter as the central heatings so the boilers already fired up.

Thanks again.

£168 for a guaranteed fix sounds very good.

Even if it was a simple fix like flowswitch you would be into £100 with labour so so you are only gambling £68.

Older Worcesters can be problematical so a fixed fee would be my suggestion; even if they have a nightmare on elm st, it'll only cost you £168 and a few cups of tea.

There will be some here that say they could have fixed it for less - ask them round. Let us know how you get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back