HELP! Viessmann Vitodens 200 overheating and cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please :(

Decorator removed a radiator yesterday to paint the skirting boards. So I topped up the pressure and reset the boiler but it didn't work.

The OH fiddled with it and now it just cuts out. He's topped up the boiler too much (the pressure gauge is between 2-3 bar) :eek:

So now when I run the tap, the pressure RISES and the boiler temperature goes up to 110C then it cuts out.

Please help :(

Sponsored Links
If the decorator had just turned off the valves on the rad and they were not leaking then the boiler should have continued to work.

A pressure over 1 Bar will be fine as far as the boiler working is concerned.

Tony

well, vented the system, refilled everything. all the radiators have water.

Turn tap on, system goes to 114C and cuts out to F2 error.

Sponsored Links
It is overheating, almost certainly because of a siezed pump. You have checked the system pressure, I take it?

Not sure what you mean. All the radiators and the mains water is fine. is it quick and easy and will it be easy to fix the seized pump?

Our heating engineer seems to think it's an airlock so we've been trying to vent the system ALL NIGHT

I am hot, sweaty and about to have a cold shower :( I hate cold showers

You need to check if the pump is running. If it isn't, that is the problem. If it is, it could be an airlock. Follow the procedure in your Service instructions on 'venting the boiler'. Just venting radiators won't clear airlocks in the boiler. You may need to get your heating engineer in.

Next time, isolate the central heating from the boiler before doing any other work, and select DHW only at the boiler by pressing the tap button to the right of the LCD screen.

We can hear a whooshing sound when we turn on the boiler. What other way of checking that it can be done?

tried to get the airlock out by running the central heating but it didn't do anything.

The decorator seemed to think it was my imagination when I said he shouldn't have just lifted the rad off. How do I isolate the boiler?

Hubby is going to give up and we're going to have to call a man in tomorrow

Thank you for the help!! I'm so grateful you're taking the time for this

Our heating engineer seems to think it's an airlock so we've been trying to vent the system ALL NIGHT

I fail to understand how a competent heating engineer is unable to sort out a simple problem.

Then to add to the confusion you say you are going to get "a man" in.

Even if the engineer was a woman do you really think a man is going to sort it out any better.

Are you sure that ANY of the people you have had there are true professionals? The decorator, engineer or "the man" ?

I fail to understand how a competent heating engineer is unable to sort out a simple problem.

Then to add to the confusion you say you are going to get "a man" in.

Even if the engineer was a woman do you really think a man is going to sort it out any better.

Are you sure that ANY of the people you have had there are true professionals? The decorator, engineer or "the man" ?

:D The heating engineer has only been on the phone. He's moved away from the area so can't just pop by but still gives us advice. The decorator is fine, he's just never done work with a combi.

So a registered viessmann engineer (male or female) will be called tomorrow to see if they attend.

Does that suit sir?

It does seem to be an airlock, then.

If all else fails, call Viessmann Technical tomorrow.

Will they be more help than what I've done.

I presume the only thing left is to lift the covers, and isolate the heating valves and then vent the boiler.

Which I would really rather pay someone to do in case anything goes ka-boom

And we've had it serviced annually by a viessmann engineer (it's less than 18 months old) so if anything goes wrong it should be covered for parts right?

Oops, take a little care here!

The Viessmann has a very nicely made spiral main heat exchanger. That can be quickly damaged if the boiler fires when there is air in that coil.

There is a specific procedure to vent air out of the heat exchanger. Explained simply, pressurised water is forced through the heat exchanger in just one direction and out to a drain.

Not that many installers seem very conversant with the procedure although many know that there is one. It is mentioned on their courses.

Very unfortunately the installation instructions with the boiler are very poor in the English language version. I ignored my father's attempts to get me to learn German so I dont know if they are any better.

To enable flushing to work properly, I fit the valves differently to the way the company show them. You dont get much detailed instructions from them though.

A Viessmann engineer WILL charge if its just air in the system as expected. But so would any other. Not all Viessmann service agents seem very conversant with the correct flushing procedures.

Tony

Thanks guys. What do I need to tell them when I phone them tomorrow and how much will the damage be?

We charge a fixed diagnostic fee of £84 and you should not have to pay more than that.

However, explain first what the problem seems to be and ask if they know the procedure for expelling air from Viessmann boilers.

I do hope that your nupty decorator is going to be paying for the boiler repairs. If they dont know what they are doing then they should not touch them.

Sometimes I get called to drain and disconnect radiators ready for decorators.

Tony

Was going to defend decorator but just found emulsion in the bottom of the new acrylic bath.

It beggars belief how he didn't see that. The problem is he's already been paid £400 for 2 days work. :(

He'll be finishing tomorrow and be finished I think.

Thanks all for your help. I'm so upset and stressed I can't sleep now. Gah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back