Budget alarm systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've no alarm currently and will be refurbing the house shortly.

Looking at Friendlands SA and SK range. The SA3 and SK3 both look tempting, as does the 5 version of them. Has anyone got any experience with these alarms or experience with the telecommunicating verion 5. Is it a bit gimmicky or do you find it useful?

Sponsored Links
Budget alarm systems = barely adequate at best
Wireless alarm systems = useless junk

A wired system is the only sensible choice. If the property is being refurbished, then no issue with concealing the cables. Even if not, the cables can usually be concealed fairly easily.

Also note that a 'bells only' alarm is not going to do much to improve security or deter criminals.

I can recommend the Yale wireless alarms.
I have installed hundreds and many been in use for years without any problems at all.
Would recommend the 6400 telecommunicating alarm.
Easier to install than the Friedland response stuff and have the advantage of being able to mount the bell box wherever you want rather than on the wall facing the (unreliable) sun.
Ignore the previous posters comment about them being useless junk he obviously has no experience of them.

I have installed hundreds and many been in use for years without any problems at all.
Easier to install than the Friedland response stuff and have the advantage of being able to mount the bell box wherever you want rather than on the wall facing the (unreliable) sun.
Ignore the previous posters comment about them being useless junk he obviously has no experience of them.
Words fail me!

"I can recommend the Yale wireless alarms."
Of course you can, you charge to install a DiY system that can be bought at any DiY shop.

"I have installed hundreds and many been in use for years without any problems at all."
We've heard this rubbish before - one failure of any sort is/was a problem, short memory?

I love the word 'any', so many people do not know know how to use it correctly.

Sponsored Links
Words fail me!

"I can recommend the Yale wireless alarms."
Of course you can, you charge to install a DiY system that can be bought at any DiY shop.

"I have installed hundreds and many been in use for years without any problems at all."
We've heard this rubbish before - one failure of any sort is/was a problem, short memory?

I love the word 'any', so many people do not know know how to use it correctly.

Europlex sink back in your hole. Do I have to explain that every single system I installed is working perfectly. In only a couple of cases did I have problems and those were easily rectified. Anyone reading these forums would think all the professionally fitted grade 2 systems were a pile of crap looking at the number of times people post up problems (rarely Yale problems you will notice ;) )
Your posts as ever are in breach of forum rules and unhelpful.

As for installing the alarms for people , of course -
Not everyone is confident of installing an alarm or climbing a ladder or wants to go out and buy the tools.Particulary older or infirm or ladies living alone (How many twentysomething ladies who want a burglar alarm have you seen up a ladder). Not everyone is aware how to design a system to make it a secure system and not everyone is aware of how to use all the features available from part set to chime options to making a workable system that will fit in with the homes and occupants daily routines. Most people will buy and fit the system themselves trying to make the two pirs and door contacts create an alarm system which will leave security loopholes. Not everyone is aware you can add remote keypad to increase the versatility of the system. Not everyone will pick up how the telecommunicating part works or how to use it.Not everyone has £500 plus to have an alarm installed much less the £30 a month contract fee and some people like the idea that its installed by someone with lots of experience and covered by a warranty on parts and labour and free helpful technical support which exceeds Yales own for advice and satisfaction.

Also note that a 'bells only' alarm is not going to do much to improve security or deter criminals.

Eh? Wot planet you on?

Considering 95% of the job an alarm does is act as a visual deterrent then flameport obviuosly has no idea of how alarms work in the real world.
Probably one of those 'people' who fit dummy siren boxes because research shows that 30% of people ignore alarms, totally ignoring the fact that the real possibility is 70% of people do not.
Of course then he would get to sign people up for monitored systems couldn't he . . .?

irrespective of other persons here,

my thought for you is to contact 3 or 4 local small companies and get there surveyor out to give you a quote.

this will give you an idea of costings.

yes, feel free to fit a system yourself, many do, and yes some people do have problems with the install, programming etc, thats we are here for.

but if you are really unsure, contact the companies and ask advice from them.

with the wireless and wired systems;
each person has there favorites, its a matter of choice,
if you want wired, go for wired,
if you want wired, go for that.

our company do install wireless, but it is Galaxy and it is a bit pricey
and are wired systems are grade 2 or grade 3 galaxy as well, but thats just what we fit.

other companies fit other types of control equipment of good quality.

let us know what you find out

many thanks

john

Thanks for your posts folks - I agree that the poster describing all these systems as "useless junk" and not elaborating on why is pretty unhelpful.

It's a semi detached house I'll be putting it into with good neighbours who would come over if the alarm went off, so I don't feel the need for a monitered system which might be better suited to detached houses in grounds.

As per the advice here, I'm going to get a couple of professional companies to come in just to see what their quotes are like and to gaige their opinions. I'll post back when I have done so

Thanks again

[/b]In only a couple of cases did I have problems and those were easily rectified.

"ANY"

I rest my case.

I'm gone.

[/b]In only a couple of cases did I have problems and those were easily rectified.

"ANY"

I rest my case.

I'm gone.

You don't have a case you are just a complete idiot.
I never never ever had to walk away from a system that wasn't operating correctly and just twice did I experience a problem which were both resolved at the time.
For sure YOU could not say the same about YOUR work.

Perhaps you would like to tell everyone how many Yale alarms YOU have installed and what experience YOU have of them?

you are 'gone' alright :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back