Diesel engine timing belts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on timing belt change intervals please?

I've been advised that my Rover 45 TD 2001 has a 78000 mile change interval.

Is this the same for a VW 1.9 Boro TD ?

Also, has anyone used Motoroils Direct engine oils?
What's the general opinion of their quality?

Sponsored Links
This is generalising really, but the belt change interval is between 40k to 60k to 80k, depending on which engine you have (AJM, AXR) and the age of the vehicle.
VW recommend replacement every 4 years which personally I think is overdoing it unless the car is a taxi. Its a good idea to replace the plastic tensioner at the same time.
Can't comment on the oil - sorry. I prefer Millers personally.
John :)

Can anyone advise on timing belt change intervals please?

I've been advised that my Rover 45 TD 2001 has a 78000 mile change interval.

Is this the same for a VW 1.9 Boro TD ?

Also, has anyone used Motoroils Direct engine oils?
What's the general opinion of their quality?

The question should be really; if the timing belt breaks; is this a 'safe' engine, ie anti interference. With a Rover, I suspect not. However, if a timing belt breaks, and doesn't cause damage, is it a gamble worth paying, as the belt might cause other damage?

Had two cambelts snap on me, both anti-interference engines, one an old Capri, one a brand new Ford van..both engines survived.

As far as I know all diesel engines are of the 'interference' type, they wouldn't have enough compression to run if not. I have only ever had one belt break and that was on a Citroen BX at 114,000 miles, the recommended change interval it 79,000 - so it didn't do bad :D

Peter

Sponsored Links
Hi John

The BMW is nice to drive and relatively easy to repair, but that's about where it ends, its much smaller inside than the XM, it doesn't ride anything like as well as the XM and it has no low down torque so it stalls if you dont rev it when you pull away - apart from that its fine :D

Peter

Good luck with that one - I would have thought that the in line 6 Beemer would have had loads of torque from standstill....?
Anyway, I've a Citroen C5 (02 plate) coming in soon - top of the range - and there are so many warning gongs going off it sounds like something for Christmas :eek: It could take me some time.....
Be lucky with the Beemer.
John :D

I think you will find your Citroen good for torque, I take it that it is diesel. The Beemer has plenty of torque at about 2,500 rpm but I am used to driving at under 2000 with the Citroen and not keep having to keep changing gear. The engine sounds very nice though :D

Peter

Yes it is a diesel, Peter - but thankfully not mine!!
I'm driving Skoda these days, 130 BHP Pompe Deuse diesel, 230 ft lbs torque which is superb to drive.
Likely to go for the same engine in a Seat Ibiza next March, as Skoda have made the Fabia vRS petrol powered now.
Can you imagine - 177 BHP from a 1.4 petrol engine, which is both turbo charged and super charged....I haven't a clue how this arrangement is done!
Best wishes

good ole vw engine you got there burner ;)
just make sure you use the specific oil ;) but you already know that m8 dontcha :rolleyes:
timing belt change is it 40k or 60k for your car??
my ford galaxy tdi is 60k.

just make sure you use the specific oil ;) but you already know that m8 dontcha :rolleyes:

I have heard very bad reports regarding the Ford Galaxy timing belt..known two people that it has snapped on, and total engine write off...also autobox issues, and none were sorted easily.

These engines appear all over the place, don't they?
I use Millers XFE PD oil, and its changed, with the filter, every 6k (the car, 04 plate, only has 46k on the clock, and I've had it from new).
The belt change is around 60k, but Skoda recommend every 4 years so I put one on a few weeks ago. The belt looked in perfect condition, and it wasn't so bad to do - didn't like the tensioner design though!
I go for Gates belts where I can.....its best to avoid the obscure makes, I think.
I'm always intrigued by the amount of oil that comes from the turbo on these and other diesels - sometimes it surprises me how clean the emissions are.

I have heard very bad reports regarding the Ford Galaxy timing belt..known two people that it has snapped on, and total engine write off...also autobox issues, and none were sorted easily.

I've never had a belt snap on these, but as with any similar installation its vital to ensure that no oil gets on the belt.....the tensioners are fragile and should be replaced with the belt.
Only Galaxy problems I have come across have been dual mass flywheel issues and A/C failure. As for auto boxes, I run a mile.

yep the general consensus on the galaxy forum concerning autos is run a mile,aircon can be problematic :rolleyes: but at least it doesnt have a ford engine :LOL: :LOL: mind you there chain so life of car really.

isnt it amazing depending on what car the engine is fitted to,then the recommendations on belt change and yet its a vw :confused:

yep the general consensus on the galaxy forum concerning autos is run a mile,aircon can be problematic :rolleyes: but at least it doesnt have a ford engine :LOL: :LOL: mind you there chain so life of car really.

isnt it amazing depending on what car the engine is fitted to,then the recommendations on belt change and yet its a vw :confused:

Regarding the aircon, my Ford Connect van had non working aircon, I was stood in the yard with the mechanic, at the dealership, and the compressor/some part of the aircon was leaking fluid onto the floor. I pointed at this, and the guy turns round, nope thats normal. It's normal for engines to pour out their innards? Yup, completely normal. Ha!

Sponsored Links
Back