Lawnmower engines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody any info on who makes lawnmower engines ?
I was looking at Champion petrol lawnmower with the 150cc GGPSV35 engine. who actually makes the engines ? is it related to the Briggs & Stratton engine.

My old mower has a B&S engine which has lasted well but the deck is about to rust through. I'm not into the very expensive engined models.

Sponsored Links
Followed your lead to the Mountfield site and had a look at the manual for SV150 engine - It's made by SUMEC , Nanjing, China.

Thanks

I repair lawnmowers as my job and the chinese engines are very unreliable,cheap yes but you get what you pay for.
If you can spend a little more money get something with a Briggs & Stratton or Honda engine on,it will be worth the money.

Sponsored Links
I understand the SV stands for side valve - less complicated but ineffecient. Are the others side valve ie. is that the norm for lawn mowers ?

I've been playing with my mowers today funnily enough. I have a Mountfield with the SV35 engine. It's not been running for a long time because the wheels are broken. I put some fuel in, checked the plug etc and it went second pull. I had a Briggs and Stratton in bits today as well and noticed that it's side valve too.
HTH , Stivino.

I use lawn mowers every day during the summer ,even today and its bad weather ! The best engine without a doubt is the honda ,there superb ! we use a honda 16 inch 4 wheel self propelled mower for smallish grass areas ,i wont say lawns cos most customers dont have a proper lawn as such ,for bigger areas of overgrown grass we use a ibea 5hp 4 wheeler self propelled mower ,its a beast ! can cut dry grass 2foot long ,and belive me it makes us money,for any well cared lawn we use a hayter 17 ich roller mower but generally its too good a mower for most gardens ,you should avoid chinese engines as getting any parts is no go area ,also the best 2 stroke engines are GERMAN made by andreas stihl ,we use nothing else ,hope this helps .

Side valve engines are becoming somewhat passe due to their fuel inefficiency, although they are still fairly common.
Most manufacturers are using OHC or OHV engines and both appreciate regular oil changes.
Honda are using genuine 4 stroke engines in their brush cutters, and they contain a massive 80cc of oil...the theory is that there is so much oil splash around (no pump, needle roller big end) that there will be no oil starvation.
If you have a Briggs lookalike engine, of Chinese manufacture, regularly change the oil and kiss goodbye to any chance of obtaining internal spares!
Users need to realise that wet sump engines rely on splash lube so if your grass is on a steep incline then a 2 stroke machine may be needed, similar to the Victa, maybe.
For interest, check out the Stihl 4 Mix motor - a four stroke cycle engine using two stroke lubrication principles, twice over! Definitely the future.
This is definitely the kit to consider for daily professional use.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back