Texecom Premier 88 - ID biscuits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

First time I've ventured into the alarms forum - loaded with info!

I've just moved house and need to install an alarm (wired). I've done a couple before, am familiar with EOL wiring etc but this house is bigger than I've done before. I'm looking at about 60 zones in all when everything's included (three stories, triple garage with upstairs etc, sheds).

I've come to the conclusion I need a Texecom Premier 88 - everything I've read here about them is very positive, and a good manual is always useful. The issue though is this: It seems I can't use the onboard zone expanders (8XE) as they're only for use on the Premier 24. The remote expanders are twice the price (£42 each vs £23 each for the onboard) and it's going to add a load more expense to the project.

It seems the MUCH cheaper way to go is the 60 iXD - £57 gets me 60 zones. The problem is I can't find many posts (here or elsewhere) with much good to say about iD biscuit systems. Harder fault-finding, more prone to static, need to use shielded cable etc.

How would you pro's do it? Would you spend the extra on the remote zone expanders and stick with EOL, or go with iD biscuits? This must be a pretty common problem for you guys - whenever you're wiring a big place?

Thanks in advance.

James.

Sponsored Links
I can't say I've ever been a fan of iD. They look good on paper, but there are too many "what ifs" for me. For example, if you get a short on the iD line from a damaged cable/water ingress or a faulty biscuit, you can loose the entire system, so that puts it totally out of the equation for me. Upgrading to EOL in the future would be a no no aswell, so once you've commited, you're stuck with it. EOL to iD is much more straightforward! Plus, the fault finding on a larger system can be a real nightmare, especially for someone that does'nt have any experience with iD systems. Have you factored the cost of the biscuits into the equation? It'd be around about £120 for 60 biscuits.

Don't forget to account for a couple of decent power supplies aswell. A 60 zone system will need some additional power, especially if these outbuildings are any great distance away. This applies to any system. Infact, I think Texecom make a PSU with a built in expander that you can fit an additional expander into. We've just completed a 60-odd zone domestic with 4 keypads, which needed 3 power supplies.

Thanks Scott. No I hadn't factored in the cost of the biscuits - I (naively) assumed it would come with them - not much use without! That puts a spanner in the works - though it would still work out a fair bit cheaper (about £100).

About half of my zones are unpowered (door/ window contacts) - more if I wire the smoke alarms as 2-way rather than 4-way. I think I'll probably be ok with the alarm supply without extra PSUs, but I'll need to add it up based on the consumption of the PIRs and Glass Break Detectors. If I do go with the iD biscuits I'll be able to double-up the power cores on 6-core wire to reduce any voltage drop.

I think I'll probably end up ditching the iD Biscuit idea though - your points about reliability and fault finding are solid.

Anyone else got an opinion on them? Presumably you reach a size of system where you have no choice but to use them?

Anyone else got an opinion on them? Presumably you reach a size of system where you have no choice but to use them?

Quite the reverse.

On larger jobs as well as small using 8 zone outstations/rios/zems etc make the job easier. Just run a data highway to several locations and wire the zones back to them. IE one endstation in garage will pick up all detection in there. Keypads can usually be connected onto the same data run.

When working out power requirements we usually work on 50% of the output as you don't want the psu to be working 100% flat out.

personally I would go the eol route. Using either Galaxy, Scantrionic or Castle caretech.

Sponsored Links
Thanks caretech - I hadn't thought of it like that. Must get expensive though at £45 for each 8-zone expander. I'll check out the other makes you mentioned - maybe I've just chosen an expensive system.

Thanks again,

James.

sixty zones in a house? You can't be serious. I'd lose fifty of those if I were you.

Texecom kit doesn't seem any more expensive than similar rated Galaxy, scantronic or caretech panels.

Joe I've been thinking the same thing (well trying to!). Trouble is it's a big house, detached triple garage with upstairs, other outbuildings with tools in etc. It backs onto fields on two sides and has a high hedge on the third (so giving the burglar plenty of time) and the windows are mainly single-glazed. It has open fires in most rooms and I have two young children so I'm including smoke detectors (and internal sounders) on the system so it's interlinked, battery backup from the alarm and I'd get a call/SMS if either the smoke or intruder goes off.

The neighbours would respond if it went off so to give them a chance I need to kit it out so that it goes off as soon as someone tries to get in (door/window sensors), rather than just after they're inside (PIRs). It'll make it easier to use at night too - particularly when we have guests.

With that size house and 60 zones I would suggest you make sure your insurance company will not require as standard, a graded system. I would hate you to spend money on installing a system yourself, for it to be not acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back