Alarm diy installation planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to install new alarm system on my own with a little bit of help from electrician who is not overly familiar with alarms (i.e. good enough for drilling through joists and holding ladder but not much more). Its supposed to be a fairly simple installation on ground floor only with 1 remote keypad, 4 PIRs all on the same floor and finally 1 internal and 1 external sounder. Its also supposed to send SMS on alarming.

What I was going to get is Castle Euro One 28 alarm panel together with digimodem and Bosch blue line PIRs. I am not sure what sort of internal and external sounders to get and would welcome any suggestion on that.

In the first instance, I was planning only to run the cables to location before the plasterer comes in and then install the actual components after plasterer's finished. I was going to keep each each PIR, keypad and sounder on its own separate circuit with one cable to each. Is that good enough? I am specifically thinking about sounders - do they share the circuit in any fashion or ok to be separate? Also, is it good practice to test the alarm cable or double it up in first fix or generally speaking its just going to work 99% of time?

Once the plasterer's done, I was going to install all the kit and setup the alarm.

Have I missed anything obvious? Also, is it possible and good idea to wire up smoke/heat sensors to the house alarm (having everyone know when you burnt the dinner). How do you generally go about doing that?

Sponsored Links
basic alarm setup;

front door, magnetic door contact
hallway, pir sensor
lounge, pir sensor
dining room, pir sensor
kitchen, dual tech sensor (microwave/pir together in one unit)
kitchen door, door contact

remote keypad adjacent to front door (and the front door is your entry exit zone)

internal sounder to the first floor at high level.

external siren to front, or rear, its down to you,
decoy siren unit to front or back

texacom are a good make for external sirens
internal siren/speaker 16 ohm speaker, any good security/electrical supplier should be able to help.

planning
always put the PIR sensors to the top corner of the room facing away from the windows,
follow installation instructions supplied with PIR for mounting height

3 amp UN switched fuse spur for supply to panel

and always fit the largest possible battery in the panel! don't just go for a small one because it is cheaper

on the sounder front;
no they do not share a cable, run each device on its own cable (6 core should do you fine) and only use alarm cable, do not use telephone cable its wrong and should never be used for alarm installation work (other than linking the telephone connection to the control panel)

get you electrical contractor to fit mains powered smoke and heat detectors to the electrical supply not to the intruder alarm (as smokes linked to intruder panel do not comply with BS5839 part 6)

testing cable;
if you have installed the cabling carefully and not yanked it in it should be ok,
yes we do test the cable, but usually after everything if finished, (then we find that some oik has damaged a cable and we spend hours re wiring it!!)

if you have any other questions post away

hope this helps.

Many thanks - it helps a lot.
Couple of questions
1) Why do you use dual tech sensor in kitchen?
2) If you have external siren unit to the front, why would you fit additional decoy siren unit too? Is the aim to conceal the main siren unit? (e.g. install it at the back or out of sight)?

Sponsored Links
dualtech in kitchen; ambient heat from appliances, yes the new type of dual/quad element PIR sensors are very stable,
but its a personal preference;

alarm sounders;
the reason for installing a decoy unit to either the front or the rear of the building is to indicate to a potential intruder that there is a security alarm system fitted to the property.

we dont ever `hide` an external siren, we want people to see them (advertising !!!)

any other questions??

Caretech is correct as well, its one i forgot to put on the list !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back