Phone line problems.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening guys,

Had a chippie in today, and now my phone is dead with no broadband either..... swears he has not touched it though and to be fair to him, I can't see any breaks or damage.

Phone line comes in from the front, through the garage, into the kitchen, into the master socket. then it has an extension from there under the stairs, across the landing into the office where the phone and broadband are plugged in.

My question is is can I cut it as it comes into the garage, and move the master socket to the office which is above the garage, shortening the lenght loads and hopefully cutting out the fault......

TIA!!

Sponsored Links
Evening guys,

Had a chippie in today, and now my phone is dead with no broadband either..... swears he has not touched it though and to be fair to him, I can't see any breaks or damage.

Phone line comes in from the front, through the garage, into the kitchen, into the master socket. then it has an extension from there under the stairs, across the landing into the office where the phone and broadband are plugged in.

My question is is can I cut it as it comes into the garage, and move the master socket to the office which is above the garage, shortening the lenght loads and hopefully cutting out the fault......

TIA!!

Yeah you can do that but is that where the fault is?? take off the extension first it could be you router/modem playing up and its just a coincidence that it happened while he was there or it could be a BT fault in the network or exchange.

Take the front off the NTE and plug a phone into the test socket - that's what it's there for. If the line is OK there the problem is with your extension wiring. If it doesn't work, it's a problem on the service provider's side.
That may be a problem with the lead-in, or it could be somewhere else in the network.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back