alarm install advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house which came prewired ( 6 core cable) for an alarm system. The wiring is as follows 1 wire for bell box, 1 for remote keypad, 1 for door entry (pir detector) and 1 which goes into lounge another wire then goes from lounge into hall repeated into 2 other rooms for pir detectors. There are 4 wires at panel location. Looking to install Texacom system and am seeking some advice on which components to use - eg panel, Type of detectors and any other tips on installation.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
unfortunately whoever installed the cables didn't really know what they were doing. You have one cable picking up 4 pir's.

Option 1 The best system to install would have "iD" capability so you can then have each pir on its own circuit/zone. Not for the novice DIYer !

Option 2 Fit a standard panel but you will have 4 pirs on one circuit /zone. You could split this and have 2 on one zone and 2 on another zone by not connecting a 24hr tamper loop and using this pair of wires as the second zone loop. Texecom veritas r8 would do the job.

Option 3 Fit a "Good" wireless system. Where you can still use the cables for a normal external sounder and have a wired keypad. We use Scantronic ion 16 or ion 40 if have to go wireless.

Hope this is some help to you.

Grahame

caretech
do they not still do latching pirs ? been out of the game a few years so i dont know .not ideal i know but worth a thought. or getting into the realms of fantasy the old nicking the poss trick. (naughty me for even thinking about that)

Sponsored Links
Yes, thats correct you can get latching pir's (cost a bit more) but with only a 6 core cable if you want to include tamper you need 7 cores. I was i bit concerned that the "hallway" pir was on the same cable run, this pir would prob need to be on walk through so the rest of the pirs would be on the same !
Most systems do not have a full 12v on the circuit loop so although your suggestion of "nicking the supply" lol would work its not recommended and def not for a diy'er to attempt. (its bad enough trying to explain that cheat to an apprentice, although it could never be used on a certified system)

I think I would have the hall pir on one pair and the other 3 on the second pair and forget about the tamper (a grade 1 system does not require internal tampers)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back