WHY ...Viessmann or the Remeha

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post here ..looking forward to good discussions .

OK ...a guy over at money saving expert advices these boilers

Viessmann or the Remeha

1. what are the prices of the spares like in comparison to Bosch and valliant?

1a... how hard are the spares to get hold of if you're not a plumber?

2.barring the gas bit .how DIY fixable are they?

3. Do they have more expensive and harder to diagnose electronics in them compared to Bosch and valliant
....that may eventually write them off, because you'd have to employ an electrician and a plumber to fix them?

That's what matters to me ....

I hate all things complicated that are not diy-able........cause what ever Little money they save because of efficiency ..........
you will spend twice, thrice or even ten times as much paying someone to fix them
.that's looking at it from my point of view and not a gas safe plumbers.

before anyone condemns me for wanting to diy boilers ..

i am quite competent ....Well i think i am.

have fitted LPG to a couple of cars and had them passed with LPGA certificates to prove it

See my rover engine rebuild and LPG installation here :-

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=132776

What I'm after really, is a regular condensing boiler to heat tank in the loft.....and run several rads.....that are already there...the lot been taken apart and flushed ..all rads off .and plugs out and power-washed ..etc .

the system i wanted was a Bosch 24ri

because remote programmers can be replaced easily,together with the associated pereferals...and no expansion vessel....i thought that a regular one was the way to go ..
for extra reliability and being partially more DIYable

Already have BRAND NEW :- Siemens RWB9 Programmer, Danfoss TP5 stat ,Honeywell V4073a mpv, Honeywell L641 tank stat, magnaclean, inhibitor and a Grundfoss selectric pump.

intend to get a gas safe chappy to mount and connect / pipe a boiler ..and pass it...and then hopefully enjoy many years without a breakdown.

but whats troubling me is the unreliability of these condensing boilers ..especially after i read at my local library the which report of September 09

ps .and another thing .why dont these boilers have some sort of external
servicable air filter screen .so that any crap ends up in that rather than in the internals of the boiler.

all the best.markj

Sponsored Links
Viessmann are giving an unlimited five year warranty - as long as your installer has attended their [free] training course. They are the best engineered boilers you can buy.

Spares are readily available.

Most of the components you listed are in the boiler already. Take them back and do the job properly - fit weather compensation to the boiler.

Bosch 24ri is a regular condensing boiler for y-plan not a combi...

it doesn't have any of those components in it

..if they ain't part of the boiler they ain't expensive when they bust is the way i see it

Ive collected them over the last few months ..they are all new ...and didn't cost me a lot......and i have two of each just in case.

another thing ...i cant afford to go down the expensive yearly maintenance route to keep garantees...not cost effective....all maintanance will be done by myself ..i have a co meter .when the readings are wrong or a gas related problem then mr gas safe will be called out

all the best.markj

Viessmann are giving an unlimited five year warranty - as long as your installer has attended their [free] training course. They are the best engineered boilers you can buy.

another thing ...i cant afford to go down the expensive yearly maintenance route to keep garantees...not cost effective....all maintanance will be done by myself ..i have a co meter .when the readings are wrong or a gas related problem then mr gas safe will be called out

You seem to have a very mean attitude to life that you dont want to pay for one of the best and most reliable boilers just because you dont want to pay just 55 pounds to have it serviced each year.

Instead you want to buy a 24i which is one of the worst boilers for reliability and not easy to service for which a gas safe person is expected. Not only does it fail often but it does not have a long warrantee.

You are best left in your little world of meaness to buy a poor boiler!

Sponsored Links
They are the best engineered boilers you can buy.

theyre pretty good, but wouldnt go that far.

only if you know the right people!!

fit weather compensation to the boiler.

why is this always the holy grail of any installation?? each job is different.

Buy an Ideal logic an you wont look back excellent boiler

You are best left in your little world

umm
lots of different replies ..

didn't know it was only £55...not bad...i thought it was over £150 ...this is my first ever gas boiler ..so i don't know a lot of facts about maintenance charges ..only rumours.

i know this ...

first plumber that i arranged with to have the job done by ..left me in limbo for two weeks ..while he waited to contact his mate who was on holiday.when his mate came back not two weeks but .. three weeks later ..was so busy he didn't want to do the job.

second plumber ....he visited ...to have a look at the job.... BUT ..only after approx 30 phone calls to his mobile phone over three days...he had it at his side in his pocket ..buty never bothered answering it ...saying that it took too long to get out of his pocket ..and he never followed up calls !

right so eventually.. he had a look at the job ..

said get back to him on a if i had any queries ..
same old routine again ...

30 calls

he eventually answered ...

said that he would visit a certain day to have a look ..
never turned up ....30 calls again ...last call i left an answer on his machine that the mobile phone business was driving me around the bend ..and if it carried on .i will have to find some one else ..
he wasn't in contact with me again ..
3rd plumber ..ive been waiting two weeks for him ......not even a visit or a phone call.

so you can see .........if i ever had a break down ..id be right up the creak.

never mind getting them to come and service it .

so I'm a bit on my own .

put it this way ....
if YOU had the choice to buy any boiler...and you were not a plumber ..but knew of the spares situation on each and every boiler ..

the reliability and how DIY-ABLE each and every boiler is .

what is the one you would choose.

BTW ...all plumbers Ive talked to so far .said that by going the tank in the attic route, that i had made the right choice ...least Ive got hot water when Mr unreliable doesn't turn up !

but, also said that if i had a regular non condensing boiler .they would have told me to hang on to it for dear life and keep it going for as long as possible.

all the best.markj

Ditch the Rover 420 (Eastbourne Express), and choose a Remeha for your boiler. I worry that your choice of car means that you have no appreciation of quality engineering. A Remeha boiler will give you quality engineering, without the Viessman/Vailant price tag.

Remeha are good people to deal with, I fit these almost exclusively. The internals (gas valves, pump and exp. vessel) are sourced from the leading manufacturers, and Remeha add their own electronics inc. weather compensation. So no worries about spares availability. Remeha have been making condensers for 30 years, plus lots of commercial stuff.

75 wasn't a bad car though, wouldn't mind one myself. The rest of the models, however, go a long way to explaining why Rover is now 'Over'! ;)

P.S. Too much talk of DIYing will scare many installers off, and may explain their unavailability.

P.S. Too much talk of DIYing will scare many installers off, and may explain their unavailability

correct

when a customer starts talking of DIYing it just spells tight a r s e to me and id expect them not to have job done but just try to pick my brains then doit themselves then call me when it all goes t i t s up
id avoid too.

just my opinion ;)

listen guys .

the questions have not been answered .....and id hope to get some answers without insults .

you've told me to get x-boiler ..
but not told me the availability of spares or the price comparisons of the spares to myself .

or how easy it is to fix when it goes wrong ..which it will do, I'm sure of that ..

is it too much to expect a boiler to perform without fault for at least 15 years .

or is everything crap today ..

like rovers ..which i can just afford .or your BMW'S which i cant afford.

my rebuild was more to do with neglect of previous owner that anything else......the 420s are probably the most reliable of them all with good old t-series in it .

the only 75 worth having is the diesel ..the petrol one has a 6 cylinder k-series in it !!!!...with quad cams and a £1000 service and cam-belt change at 90,0000 miles

and I'm not tight arse ..my total income per year is only £8000, so i have to spend every penny very wisely ..i cant afford to make mistakes with this choice of boiler.

and i never mentioned anything about DIY to the installers...i only thought more of this plan up after being let down by them .

BTW ..some of the answers have been helpful .

all the best.mark

Most of the components you listed are in the boiler already. Take them back and do the job properly - fit weather compensation to the boiler.

What he said... Stay away from Remeha in my opinion. Utter garbage. They are more into the commercial sector and not imparticulary good there either.

listen guys .

the questions have not been answered .....and id hope to get some answers without insults .

you've told me to get x-boiler ..
but not told me the availability of spares or the price comparisons of the spares to myself .

or how easy it is to fix when it goes wrong ..which it will do, I'm sure of that ..

is it too much to expect a boiler to perform without fault for at least 15 years .

or is everything crap today ..

like rovers ..which i can just afford .or your BMW'S which i cant afford.

my rebuild was more to do with neglect of previous owner that anything else......the 420s are probably the most reliable of them all with good old t-series in it .

the only 75 worth having is the diesel ..the petrol one has a 6 cylinder k-series in it !!!!...with quad cams and a £1000 service and cam-belt change at 90,0000 miles

and I'm not tight a**e ..my total income per year is only £8000, so i have to spend every penny very wisely ..i cant afford to make mistakes with this choice of boiler.

and i never mentioned anything about DIY to the installers...i only thought more of this plan up after being let down by them .

BTW ..some of the answers have been helpful .

all the best.mark

First of all ringing anyone 30 times a day is a sign your a mentalist and an income of £8000 a year is benefits I assume? If so get a job a pay for a decent job is my advice.

Oh and Rovers are crap.

i had two disc's taken out of my back ..

was ringing ..over a couple of days trying to get him to answer .

bet you're one of those that doesn't answer either
what car do you drive

all the best.markj

I fit Broags all the time. Very good boilers.

Parts are no problem. The merchant who supplies them will have a 'first aid kit' of spares that the installer can pick up foc to fix the boiler first time.

Veissman, I have never fitted, but worked on some. Don't like them, aftersales can be hit and miss depending what area you live.

Vaillant good, but atrocious after sales service.

Ideal, forget them, unless you are glutten for punishment.

Worcester, ok but a nightmare to work on, excellent after sales service, but one has to ask how we all know that :eek:

There, and I said I wouldn't reply :LOL:

[/quote]
all maintanance will be done by myself ..i have a co meter .when the readings are wrong or a gas related problem then mr gas safe will be called out

all the best.markj[/quote]

All you need now is a co2 and o2 meter and you'll be sorted

I would avoid asking here as to where to put it though. :eek:

Thanet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back