New hot water cylinder question - hemp or ptfe/compound.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
FItting a new hot eater cylinder..... woudl you use hemp or ptfe tape and or jointing compound? I know hemp is against water regs though :( - how many turns of ptfe tape is going to be water tight? I usualyl use hawk white (normal not potable, so again against water regs) - anyoen used lsx as jointing compound? any good?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
cheers Kev you're a star :)

Got another little thing I'd like to ask your advice on mate..... toilet, siphon diaphragm replaced, all ok, but slight drip form wing nuts ..... doughnut letting by..... anything i can do to stop the drip? as can't get exact doughnut to fit :(

chers kev :)

tightened the siphon nut

what sealer on the doughnut? normal siliconer? or lsx?

dried both doughnut and pan where it sits :)

Loctite 55 - string ptfe stuff, has won a lot of friends. It's MUCH less likely to leak if it's backed off, than tape.
It takes a little practice to know how much to put on but I love the stuff.
Don't be taken in by cheaper lookalikes which are more like narrow thick PTFE. I thnk Todays Tools do one of those - avoid!

It's also good for long screws (- that's a plumbing connection, not a 4 inch 12...)

kev - what do you mean "dow corning"?!!!

chrisR - I have used loctite tape before worked ok - do you mean use it on te doughnut or on the wingnut? what do you mean when you say "backed off" - sorry fi I sound dumb today :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back