Leaking radiator thermostat/valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my radiators leaks when I turn the radiator thermostat off. No leaks once the radiator is heating the room, only when I twist the thermostat to off. Any ideas what is causing this?

It's frustrating because that particular room gets quite hot whilst other rooms need the heat. So the only way I can regulate the heat is to use the main thermostat that controls the boiler!

Sponsored Links
You don't say where the leak comes from. But assuming it is around the little pin sticking out of the valve body, under the head, you might get away with tightening the gland seal (hexagon shape around pin). More likely is that you will need to replace whole thermostatic rad valve.

You can reduce the heat output from this radiator by turning down the lockshield valve at the other end of the rad.

Ideally close the lockshield conpletely and then open half a turn. Leave for an hour or so and if its not warm enough open a little more.

The lockshield may have a blank cap which needs to be removed and then turn the spindle with a spanner.

Tony Glazier

Brilliant lateral thinking Tony. Why didn't I think of that?

Sponsored Links
Thank you Tony and Chrishutt.

Tony, I will try what you suggest and see if that works. Chrishutt, I don't exactly know where the leak is from. The first I knew of it was the stain appearing on the ceiling of the room below. When I checked the offending radiator, the carpet in the vicinity of the leak was wet, but I don't know where on the radiator the water came from. I just didn't know what I should do and have left the radiator on since.

Oh, I didn't mention that the radiator valve had to be at the highest setting in order to prevent leaks. However, I think Tony's suggestion will take care of that.

Thank you both, once again. Your advice is much appreciated.

Unfortunately Tony's suggestion will not take care of that..

Let the system cool than carefully do the nuts upon the pipe in and out of the radiator valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back