Broken telephone cables.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
A friend is renovating and old post office and he has pulled out an old armoured cable with phone wires in it. Because he pulled too hard the cable separated where it was joined. The cables coming in are green, orange, black and white. The cables that were connected to it are green orange blue and brown. I assumed it was orange to orange and black to blue with maybe the 2 greens for the ringer but he rang back and said it didnt work. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in anticipation.
Bas

Sponsored Links
Hi Folks,
A friend is renovating and old post office and he has pulled out an old armoured cable with phone wires in it. Because he pulled too hard the cable separated where it was joined. The cables coming in are green, orange, black and white. The cables that were connected to it are green orange blue and brown. I assumed it was orange to orange and black to blue with maybe the 2 greens for the ringer but he rang back and said it didnt work. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in anticipation.
Bas

In the armoured cable orange and white is pair one green black is pair two,chances are the dial tone will be on pair one,just match the pairs at either end of the internal cable

Hi Simon,
Thanks for youe reply but I'n not sure what you are saying.........which cables do I connect to each other?
Many thanks
Bas

orange/white (pair 1) to orange/blue (pair 1)

green/black (pair 2) to green/brown (pair 2)

Sponsored Links
Hi Simon,
Thanks for youe reply but I'n not sure what you are saying.........which cables do I connect to each other?
Many thanks
Bas

As above the armoured will be crimped to the internal cable,check the master socket and which ever pair they have connected to 2 and 5 crimp to pair one( orange and white) in the armoured cable.If done correctly it should be as note said above.If it was a second line it should be on green black on the incoming armoured cable

Thanks lads,
It worked a treat. He's promised me a bottle of wine, sorry I cant share it with you :D
Once again many thanks
Bas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back