Removing leylandii??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are chopping down and having around 12 large leylandii removed

Whats the easiest way of killing the roots? poisoning them?

If so, Is there anything off the shelf to poison them, and is there a simple way of digging out the roots?

Thanks for any help..

Sponsored Links
Once cut down they will not regrow. You can get stump grinding companies in to deal with the stumps. Will take about 20 minutes per stump, most tree surgeons provide this as an additional service. You can also hire the machine yourself but not recommended if you haven't used one before, and you will need the PPE as they are noisy, dirty and potentially dangerous.

and very heavy, with a knack to using them. get a pro in, they normally charge by the inch for the stump removal.

Why there is a need for chopping down such a wonderful tree. People used to strive to get planted one hedging plants at their backyard, as it increases the beauty of the house and also provides a great security and safety for the house. You can hire some tree service personnel to dig out the roots rather than poisoning them of your own.

Sponsored Links
Depending on size of trees and space around, they can be pulled over, roots and all.

I've removed many trees with a Land Rover and winch.
A chain about 2 metres high around the tree. You might have to anchor the Land Rover to another tree.
See this recent thread:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=237700

Why there is a need for chopping down such a wonderful tree. People used to strive to get planted one hedging plants at their backyard, as it increases the beauty of the house and also provides a great security and safety for the house. You can hire some tree service personnel to dig out the roots rather than poisoning them of your own.

Unfortunately Emilio, beautiful they are but only when planted in the right place and regularly trimmed. When I bought my house the first thing to go from the garden was the huge neglected Leylandi which was bigger than the house, blocked the sunlight and overshadowed and killed the lawn and plants. I still have the stump and was wondering what to do with it (I was hoping it would just rot but it's taking a bit too long!) so I am grateful for this topic.

Yea, mine was that height but not quite as wide. If only they'd just trimmed it at 7' high. They do cut out a lot of light (we put patio doors in once we'd cut ours down to soak up the new found sunlight!). Am I right in thinking the roots aren't as big as other trees though?

Before I pulled over my first Leylandi I was advised that the roots are 'shallower' than other trees, and that's what I found in practice. Hence Leylandi do pull over quite easily.

The mrs got me to grind out and dig up 15 leylandii stumps about five years ago and I am still aching to this day. I've had to pay an orthopaedic surgeon more money to fix me up than it would have cost to have it done properly in the first place. This is a job for a strong man, a young man, pay whatever they want, don't do it yourself, you will end up regretting it.

Why there is a need for chopping down such a wonderful tree.
Maybe that's why :!:

article-1309450-0B0ED3CE000005DC-109_634x403.jpg
[/url]

Thats 'about' 16 trees too - not one ! I wouldn't put one in a garden that size ...

From my own experience, if you are happy to leave them they will rot down underground and after about 3 years you can dig them out easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back