Alarm and CCTV cabling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am renovating a shop and the first fix electrics are starting next week. As the building is back to bricks/joists etc it seems this would be the time to put any other wiring in too . . .
I havn't decided on whether or not to install CCTV or an alarm system in the shop yet, but want to run the cables before we get going with the plaster board.

Can anyone advice as to what sort of cable I should be installing to future proof my shop?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
unfortunately there is no such thing as future proof.

For the alarm run a 6 core alarm cables from the control unit position to the point of each detector / door contact a 6 core cable to the position of a keypad if using a remote key pad, a cable to an internal speaker/exit bleep near the last door you go out of and a cable to the outside sounder position.
All 6 cables core will suit the majority of alarm controls.

I would run cat5 cable to the camera positions so you can transmit the picture and carry the power to the camera you will need either a camera which has a built in balun or use standard cameras with an external balun.

Hope this is of some help.

No doubt others will have different ideas !!

Grahame

just about to order some cable so a couple more questions

. ..is it cat5E cable I want for security camera wiring?

and can I pull this cable (and 6 core alarm cable) through the same holes as my electrics or will that cause interference?

thanks again!

Sponsored Links
No, you cannot pull it through the same hole. You need 50mm seperation or to run the power cables in conduit.

Don't forget phone line access for credit card terminals and, if it's that type if shop, power for tag sensor at the doorway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back