Generator changeover switch

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
ban-all-sheds said:
Yes I know all about #9, but are these guys having a complete laugh?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46412&item=4388777681&rd=1

A grand to install:

63 A Generator Change Over,
100A Connector Block,
32A Connection Socket,
A connection lead from generator to the socket.
Hmm... £999.95... I wonder if he'd do it for £999.00 for cash? :D

I love the assertion: "HAVING A GENERATOR CHANGE OVER SWITCH MEANS YOU'LL NEVER HAVE THESE PROBLEMS AGAIN. YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE ELECTRICITY." - there is the minor point that you need a generator too...

Given that a generator is a "special installation", I wonder if they're Part P registered?

Cheers,

Howard

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
63 A Generator Change Over,
100A Connector Block,
32A Connection Socket,
A connection lead from generator to the socket.

so, people, how much would all this cost? apparantly the changeover switch is *really* expensive

Chang-over switches CAN be expensive, but not that long ago I had cause to replace an Autochange-over Contactor in a building, that unit was rated at 600A and as it's name implies, was automatic, it cost £435.98 + VAT from a wholesaler.

A Manual unit, as they imply, would cost about £140 plus vat...so they are overcharging..

FWL_Engineer said:
Chang-over switches CAN be expensive, but not that long ago I had cause to replace an Autochange-over Contactor in a building, that unit was rated at 600A and as it's name implies, was automatic, it cost £435.98 + VAT from a wholesaler.

A Manual unit, as they imply, would cost about £140 plus vat...so they are overcharging..
so were lookin at £200 parts. so thats £800 fitting. not bad for a days work. i should start and sell them

FWL_Engineer said:
£140? Even TLC only charge £65 for a 63A 3-pole changeover....

Having thought about where it goes, a 63A one probably wouldn't do - 80/100A would be needed, so this would be more..

ban-all-sheds said:
£140? Even TLC only charge £65 for a 63A 3-pole changeover....

oh, but this is an expensive type!

The cost of the actual change over switch is the expensive part. It's not just a switch it has to switch heavy loads. Where abouts in the uk are you?

seller of gen kit said:
We are fully registered. The cost of the actual change over switch is the expensive part. It's not just a switch it has to switch heavy loads.

The Generator Change Over Switches measures approx 25cmx25cm it needs to be installed where your regional electricity suppliers cable comes in which is where your fuse board probably is. It is connected in between your meter and consumer unit/ fuse board so that when you are using generator power it does not through your meter so your not charged for it. We allow a day for installation but it should be a bit quicker it always depends on the location of the fuse board.

a day to install... must be bloody hard work!

I wonder if they pull the fuse, or get the DNO out...

I guess anybody planning a DIY install of an isolation switch could do a c/o just in case they ever buy a genny.

A thought which occurs to me - how are generators earthed?

ban-all-sheds said:
I wonder if they pull the fuse, or get the DNO out...

well soon find out....

EDIT: response from them about the service fuse

Hi Andrew we have installed many of these Generator Change over Switches you do not need the regional electricity supplier to come. We can carry out any re-crimping that is required.
Thanks Paul.

whats the legality of them pulling the fuse and re-sealing it?

ban-all-sheds said:
My generator has a plug with a linked neutral to earth and is connected to an earth electrode, supplying through an RCD. This is how I was told to do it by the generator manufacturer.

Spark123 said:
ban-all-sheds said:
My generator has a plug with a linked neutral to earth and is connected to an earth electrode, supplying through an RCD. This is how I was told to do it by the generator manufacturer.

thats what i would have thought. plus a changeover switch.

little more complicated if you want it to auto start etc, but all he's selling is a manual type

I'm sure those small portable generators don't have an earth rod...

But in any event - if you connect them into your installation with a changeover switch, where do you put the generator earth, and what about your supply earth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back