Ford Focus headlamp replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pasenger side headlamp failed, went to change it what a pig of a job!
limited access, removed battery cover to try to gain a couple of mm's more room, attempted to remove the headlight as a whole by removing the two visible bolts but no it wont come out as the front plastic grill stops it, removing this should be a doddle! no! as there are two bolts that need a long reach socket to undo them arggggh! then there's the splash cover to remove what a cow to get out (and put back), afterwards you have to feel your way to unhooking the spring retainer and if unlucky like myself it comes away from its hinges,
the lamp itself can quite easily get the tab at the top wedged between the sandwich that makes up the reflector stopping removal of it if the lamp get slightly rotated as you try to remove it, easily done in such a confined space after much wiggling i was able to remove it.
Without the use of my wifes make up mirror to plan the manouvers to replace everything it would have been much harder to have got everything back together i say plan as it's impossible to see anything in the mirror once your hand is in place the best way i found was by feel and eventually i got the spring back in place then getting the lamp to sit properly without accidently rotating it and getting it jammed again called for extreme dexterity and many moments of standing back and counting to ten! and quickly getting the spring clipped back into the retainer i breathed a sigh of relief, but still more hassle in lining up by feel again the connector to lugs of the lamp.
All in all what used to take a few seconds to replace in the past took nearly half an hour!
No wonder people are tempted to get a headlamp replaced at dealerships and pay through the nose for the privelage at least i know what to expect next time and now have a technique to use.
What made me laugh was the speel on Ford's website advertising a new focus model that went on to say it the attention to small details that makes the car stand out from others!
Yeah right and it's the small attention to detail that makes owners not brave enough to attempt jobs to have to cough up more dough taking their cars into dealerships, what a rip off!

Sponsored Links
I often wondered if it's a money spin rip-off as in some cases you have to have a special tools :evil:

masona said:
I often wondered if it's a money spin rip-off as in some cases you have to have a special tools :evil:
Not sure if it is wise marketing these days.
Of old people bought Fords in their millions one of the reasons was they were probably the easiest cars to work on and maintain, making simple jobs like the above difficult for many will only lead to alienation towards their motors.

Not sure if it is wise marketing these days.
I doubt they even consider that any more kendor. All modern cars are just as bad in this respect. I should imagine these are quite easy to get to on the original assembly lines, before they put everything else in the way that is.

I do agree though, simple items like fuses,bulbs, filters etc, should be easy to get to really.

Sponsored Links
Passenger side headlight bulb needs replacing on a 2003 Focus. If you read all the posts it would seam to be a difficult task. Not so if you resist the temptation to attack the job in the obvious way. Forget the obvious, I timed the job and it took 11 minutes, job done! Take off the multi plug to the headlight. (Use a 5mm flat screwdriver insert this into the square part of the retaining catch and twist, pull off the plug) Remove the 2 10mm screws holding the headlamp unit. Remove the torx screw holding the wheel arch inner in front of the road wheel and then reach behind this to remove the third and last headlamp retaining screw. Lift out the headlamp THEN unclip the back of the unit, unclip the wire holding the bulb in place. replace the bulb and the wire clip. Relace the plastic back cover and refit the complete unit with the 3 screw bolts. It all seams like a sledgehammer to crack a walnut but it will save you ages trying to do it the obvious way. Good luck!

A big thank you to rs200!

It took me a lot longer than eleven minutes, though I could do it faster in future.

Some notes from me, to complement rs200's post, about how it was on my 2001 Focus:

1). It only needed one tool, a 10mm socket if I recall correctly. The three screws holding the lamp in were black, hex-headed things with big washers. The top two are quite obvious, didn't need to remove the battery or anything.

2). I couldn't figure out the wheel arch bit from rs200's post, so instead I lay on the ground on my back, reached vertically up with my left hand, and found the third screw by touch. It wasn't too hard to find. About 18 inches up, and the length of the screw points across towards the driver's side.

3). After taking the 3 screws out, the little plastic front grill thing with the Ford logo was blocking things. This is held on with clips and one screw at each end. I found that undoing one end was the easiest way to get the lamp out. It took the same socket as the others, I just popped the socket on a screwdriver-type handle.

4). It's all easy once you've got the lamp unit out, and it wasn't much bother putting it back together. This is one of those jobs that's much harder the first time you do it.

Or purchase the bulb from Halfords, and pay an extra £2.50 for them to fit the item. Saves a lot of hassle.

Dealers are not infallible when it comes to working on their own brand.
Got mine tested as Ford had a super service offer on MOT. Sat and WATCHED the monkey try to adjust the headlights using only one adjuster. Failed it on alignment. Quoted me £96 + VAT to replace, " Because it must be broken ". :rolleyes:
I took it home, removed lamp, PUT ADJUSTER BACK ON THREAD! refitted, set aim against garage door and took it back. Gave the DP a few choice words regarding Focus having 2 adjusters that you move alternately - NOT 1 for up / down + 1 for side / side - so he ' generously ' waived the retest fee! Wish I was still in the motor trade so could still get freebies!

2005> Focus lights only need 1 screw on top removing to get the light unit out - 2 min job

It's an uncanny ability of car designers to make sure the bit you need to replace is apparently the part they started with and designed the rest of the car to fit around.

Plus mechanics these days are frequently just technicians.
Very little fault finding ability, they just plug in the manufacturers diagnostic computer and replace what bits are shown as faulty until the computer says yes.

My dad does vehicle inspections and often gets called to garages (esp main dealers) where the warranty company smells a rat.
Last one I recall him mentioning was a Vauxhall where the dealers were recommending a replacement turbo. My dad turns up, sticks his head under the bonnet and points out the big black mark on the side of the cylinder head where the exhaust gasket had blown.

Gasket replaced and as if by magic the turbo started working fine and the car ran like a dream.

Passenger side headlight bulb needs replacing on a 2003 Focus. If you read all the posts it would seam to be a difficult task. Not so if you resist the temptation to attack the job in the obvious way. Forget the obvious, I timed the job and it took 11 minutes, job done! Take off the multi plug to the headlight. (Use a 5mm flat screwdriver insert this into the square part of the retaining catch and twist, pull off the plug) Remove the 2 10mm screws holding the headlamp unit. Remove the torx screw holding the wheel arch inner in front of the road wheel and then reach behind this to remove the third and last headlamp retaining screw. Lift out the headlamp THEN unclip the back of the unit, unclip the wire holding the bulb in place. replace the bulb and the wire clip. Relace the plastic back cover and refit the complete unit with the 3 screw bolts. It all seams like a sledgehammer to crack a walnut but it will save you ages trying to do it the obvious way. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Back