Any advice welcome regarding old glow worm boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I would welcome any advice to a complete novice about my old glow worm 45-60 boiler. I have an immersion heater in the loft, along with a cold water tank. The boiler must be very old, as it was in the house when I moved in 24 years ago, it is still working (touch wood).

People are beginning to frighten me about it, telling me to get a new one and that I am wasting so much money with this old one. Can anyone tell me what kind of boiler it is? I realise it is not one of the new combi boilers, what is it classed as? If I had to have it replaced, I am frightened about all the new rules, I would just like the old one out and a new one in, like for like, I really don't want lots of upheaval, can it be straightforward?

The timer which is situated just above it is supoosed to work on timed or you are supposed to be able to have water only, I cannot remember it ever working on water only. Should it? and would it be worth getting a new one fitted?

I don't know whether to stick with it or think about replacing it, any advice would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
you don`t have to get a combi you can get system boiler so it would be stright swap a long as pipe work is up for the job

Those 45/60 boilers were a good boiler in their day,but with an efficiency down near 60% and spares almost gone are a liability.Very likely you have a gravity water and pumped heating system and maybe boiler is open flued?,as many of these were. Get a reputable firm in to advise and quote on the systems available and be prepared to part with a chunk of money but also look forward to a far better system and saving money on running costs.

I would expect you to save about 30% on your gas bill with a new boiler.

You may need a new cylinder if thst bare copper.

To just replace the boiler it might be about £1400 and another £460 for the cylinder.

There is no need to change to a combi unless there is a good reason to do so. Many installers like fitting combis but they are not usually the best option.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies, it is lovely to understand a little bit more on the subject, before I go ahead and get a new boiler - I want to understand a little bit about what I will be getting.

The old glow worm 45-60 is floor standing in the kitchen and it does back onto an old chimney, so I take it this is what you called an open flue?

It must be an age thing as the thoughts of too much upheaval worries me.

I want to know what I am talking about (a bit anyway), when I get some quotes to do the job.

Thanks for your replies so far.

whats whats the reason your replacing it? it might be a relic and you might not be able to get many spares for it, but chances are you won't need any. It may well trundle on for another 10yrs without a hitch. You will save some money on your gas bills by replacing it, how much depends on too many factors, any figure given would be a wild guess.

That boiler is now at least 30 yrs old and yes it may "trundle on" for another 10 years wasting gas and your money.On the other hand it may breakdown in Feb and there you are with your "relic" about as useful as a chocolate teapot.Do your self a favour and replace it.Savings are subject to great conjecture,but you will have a system that you can control and adds to your comfort.You came on here and asked for good advice and IMO and many others replace the boiler.IRMC M'lud

I had a chat with a British Gas man recently and he told me that for every £100 I burn, £50 of it is wasted. I have been in this house for 24 years and it was here when we moved in, so purely an age related replacement. It is strictly fear of loads of work being done that puts me off, I have been told that new pipes might have to be fitted, the whole system flushed and so on.

The boiler is still going (fingers crossed) and the only repairs that have ever been carried out on it are replacing the thermo coupler from time to time. I am inclined to keep it going, but every one tells me that I should get a new efficient one.

That boiler is now at least 30 yrs old and yes it may "trundle on" for another 10 years wasting gas and your money.On the other hand it may breakdown in Feb and there you are with your "relic" about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

The amount of money being wasted and how much could be saved we have no idea, as we dont know the system, size of property or current gas bill prices.

With your 45 yrs of experience tell me what % of 30yr old floor standing cast iron boilers you think will break down in the next 12 months?

I had a chat with a British Gas man recently and he told me that for every £100 I burn, £50 of it is wasted.
Assuming that is correct, then a new boiler will waste between £10 and £20 for every £100 spent, depending on how it is used and the type of installation. That means you will reduce you gas bill by between 37% and 45%.

You can work out for yourself how much you will save each year from your gas bills. If you take into account the lost interest if you withdraw the money from a savings account, or the interest you pay if you take a loan, you will quickly realize that the savings made will rarely cover the replacement cost in less than 10 years.

If the boiler is still working OK, keep it until it breaks down and cannot be repaired. A boiler is not like a car, which depreciates in value the longer you keep it, so you want to trade it in for the latest model before the children/friends/neighbours start talking. :LOL:

i think you may have old backboiler by sounds of it if wrong please correct me
but baxi do a replacement back boiler unit know
but as said these thing hardly break down

I am inclined to keep it until it gives up the ghost, it is the fright stories my friends tell me that make me think I should have another newer one.

I don't think it is a back boiler though, it is floor standing and the flue goes out through the back of the top and up into an old chimney.

My neighbour has just been quoted £3,500 to replace her 16 year old boiler and yes it would take a few years to recoup this money from energy savings, the older you get the less inclined you are for all the bother.

if you going to go through with swaping it then get few qoutes and see if anyone here willing give you a qoute as well then as that next step

Op bit personel, but how old are you, 60 - 70, i wouldnt bother, it'll probably outlive you, enjoy your hard ernt savings, ig your younger and still earning get it changed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back