Flow direction for Central Heating Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've a new home and had trouble with a resonating noise from the pump (as it's installed on a studded wall in the airing cupboard) My problem isn't necessarily about the vibrations but more your opinions on one of the suggested solutions, having already tried several other attempts to reduce the vibrations.

The builders have had a meeting about this and the decision is to try turning the pump around and thus reversing the flow.

The system uses an unvented cylinder (Tribune HE) with an expansion tank and the boiler is a Glow Worm Ultracom 18hxi.

I'm just concerned that the system is designed to flow one way with regard to the flow of water through the cylinder, the temperature the pump may get if it's receiving the water from the boiler rater than feeding it the cooler water. Also does it matter to any temperature sensors in the boiler ?

Would really appreciate any advice and if the proposed solution is something worth a try - is it a known way to reduce vibrations ?

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
This is a crazy idea which will not cure the noise and will definately F**k things up DO NOT LET ANYONE turn the pump round!! the problem is with the mounting of the pump on the stud wall ;)

Thanks for the quick reply, I've also since checked the radiator valves, whilst most are Myson TRV '2 way', the bathroom one is Drayton TRV 4. Online, some info says it (or some version of it) has 'Reverse Flow', mine has a flow arrow on the side of the valve so does this suggest it's one-way?

Anyway I do value your advice and will tell them to come up with a better solution. I've temporarily unclipped the pipe brackets and packed some foam insulation in between that and the wall and it makes a massive improvement so will suggest they get some form of rubber buffers/brackets if they're something which can be obtained?

Sponsored Links
nope - not a wind up, and I think a few people have deliberated over this as a solution. I'll pass on your feelings when they arrive tomorrow !

BTW, so i can give them reasons...what are the sort of things that can go wrong when doing this?

A few people :rolleyes: and not one proper plumber among them .

A few people :rolleyes: and not one proper plumber among them .
Clearly not, I called Glow Worm Tech, they too said absolutely do not let them reverse the flow - I called the builders so they are now going to look into a better solution (hopefully) - perhaps it was just a consideration but glad it wasn't followed through ! - thanks ALL !.

I was thinking some form of rubber buffered brackets on the pipework to reduce vibrations (replacing the plastic ones) - are these something which can be bought and if so are they easy to install on existing pipework?

Why is the pump mounted on the wall at all? Aren't CH pumps usually fully supported by the pipework they're mounted in.

OK, had a couple of the plumbers back in today - they didn't seem to know what had been discussed etc, but one of them came clearly knew reversing the pump wasn't an option.

One had been instructed to move the pump to the utility room below, the other instead instructed not to. Anyway, they ended up removing all the clips from the pipework near the pump and made more clearance where the pipe goes through the floor (to the boiler in the utility room directly below) They also put insulation round the pipe to ensure it wasn't in direct contact with the wooden flooring. It now seems to run a lot quieter with less vibrations, though I'll have more of an idea in the dead of the night - when it kicks in at 6.30am !

[I was thinking some form of rubber buffered brackets on the pipework to reduce vibrations (replacing the plastic ones) - are these something which can be bought and if so are they easy to install on existing pipework?
YES they can be got from Plumber`s merchants :idea: . Don`t you just love sitework plumbers ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back