Problem with phones- Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is a bit unclear but I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about!

Last week my home phone cut off in the middle of a phone call. I couldn't get a dial tone but the internet still worked and every time i called the line was engaged. All the phone extensions upstairs were dead.

I have a master socket downstairs where the BT line comes directly in from outside. There are two extension off that, one of which leads to another master socket upstairs, which has another 2 extensions off that.

I tested the master socket downstairs and found the line worked fine which indicated a internal fault. After that i removed all the connections and filters to try and work out where the fault is.

Right now i've managed to take all the wires out of the faceplate on the master socket and reconnect them the same way (there were 4 connections x 2 wires- wht/grn, wht/ora, orange and green). Initially i thought the green wire was the cause as the phone stopped working when that was plugged in (but the internet stayed on) but when i reconnected it everything worked again except the extensions upstairs.

I tested the master socket upstairs and could see that the line was working to that point. When i removed the faceplate there are 3 wires connected in that box (2,3,5). Two extensions run off that point and both are dead.

After that i took out each wire in turn to try and see where the fault is and found that when i reconnected the wires into 5 on the faceplate and then plugged that back into the master socket i lost the line.

I'm guessing that means there is some kind of short on either one of the extensions. I opened them up and both are wired into 2 and 5.

How do i go about trying to find the fault now? I was thinking of disconnecting both sockets and then trying one by one to try to eliminate one of them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it's driving me mad!

Sponsored Links
First of all, lose the second master socket. there's no need for a second master socket, unless it's masking some already dodgey wiring, it will only confuse things. You should only have one master socket, supplied by your network supplier. All other sockets should be secondary sockets.

All the wiring should connect to the same terminal numbers at each end, with no crosses and no breaks. Terminals 2 and 5 are always used. Terminal 3 is used by some older telephones. Termial 4 is not used, but is often wired up, more or less just as somewhere to park a left-over wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back