Blown Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would be very grateful for your thoughts,

I have a loft conversion and the nail heads have popped the plaster in two parallel tram lines along the ceiling. Whilst I have filled them a couple of times and painted over, come the summer and the heat low and behold they pop again and each time it is harder to get a decent finish.

I was thinking of papering over the ceiling with a light blown vinyl paper and then painting over it.

Would that hold the plaster in under the paper and hide the imperfection or will it just blow under the paper and look a right mess!!! Or is there a better way to fix this once and forever.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
It is best if you fix the plasterboard back up using dry-wall screws, about 75mm from each blown nail head (both sides).
If the nails that have blown can not be removed, knock them back in with a hammer.
The screw and nail heads and any damage can then be repaired by filling and sanding down.
A joint cement compound such as easifill can be used for this, it will take two or three applications, as the compound could shrink whilst drying out.
But screwing the boards rather than re-nailing them will help prevent further movement and stop the nails from blowing.
Plasterboards are no longer fixed by nailing.
You can then prime the area and re-decorate.

Sounds to me like you've got a springy loft floor. They shouldn't pop or be any bother. I much prefer clouts to screws as they have a larger surface area. I'd check your conversion if it were me.

Thanks Joe, I hope not....a huge amount of timber went up into the roof during the conversion......they only pop in the heat, if I fill them now they will stay in place until May / June then blow again. It does get very hot up there in the summer

Sponsored Links
OK. Never heard of it before though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back