what's in a Name?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me the proper name for what I call a door stop- no not the fire extinguisher or old iron you put at the bottom of the door to stop it closing!- but that long piece of wood planted on the door liner to ensure the door closes correctly.Also are you able to buy them at a particular width-I'd like some say 85mm in width by 12-14mm thick & tapering down to about 1-2mm at the edge of the door frame/liner.

Sponsored Links
Helo KevelJay,Thanks for your reply-it's those three pieces of wood,two down the middle or perhaps as in my case 35m in from the edge? of the door liner (& one across the top) which stop the door as you pull or push it to close it.Your explanation is probably right given my rather vague enquiry.

Rgds,
H'market

Sponsored Links
Hello Woody,I thought so too but just try &'Goggle'- Door Stop- and see what you get;nothing but little pigs,frogs & sweet dolls and all keeping doors open but nothing to do with keeping them properly closed!

Hello Woody,I thought so too but just try &'Goggle'- Door Stop- and see what you get;nothing but little pigs,frogs & sweet dolls and all keeping doors open but nothing to do with keeping them properly closed!

ah, that's the problem. If you want to buy some, you don't google "door stops" you google "pieces of wood"

Hello again Wooy,Never would have thought of it in a million years!Thanks very much for both pointing this out and for taking the trouble in responding to my question.

Rgds,
H'Market

Hillmarket. Defo always called these a loose rebate stop, although this could be a colloquialism :rolleyes: . Essentially, two types of door casing are available - 1: Inbuilt rebate to hang the door into 2: Flat casing with loose rebate stops that you can position anywhere witin the casing reveal.

If you don't have the tools yourself , you will need to go to a timber merchants and get them to machine up a couple of lengths for you or modify some chamfered skirting.
As you want something profiled you will have to scribe or mitre the joints in the corners

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back