relighted pilot flame but both c/h & hw not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
pilot flame on my glow worm fuel saver Mk II died a month ago. I relighted it a few days ago. But both central heating and hot water doesnt work.

would there be just a few most likely causes? or long list of equally likely possibilities?

would this be something anyone can easily address or do i need to call out a plumber, or a heating engineer?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
is there power to it :?:

there is a reset button on the boiler(can't remember where) try pressing it

usually around the control box

is the clock on :?:

is the room stat turned up :?:

yes, power is on, and danfoss timer was set to both h/w and c/h

there doesnt seem to be a reset button, jsut the igniter push button which i used to relight the pilot flame on the Glowworm Fuelsaver Mk II

thanks again.

Sponsored Links
yes, the pilot has remained alight since i relighted it. first time it had gone out in the 3 to 4 years i have been livingin the flat (the boiler is much older tho). it was easy to relight but unfortunately, the boiler didnt fire tho both the boiler thermostat was on at 3 (out of 5) and the danfoss clock timer was on.

how would i check if there was water in the system? could a lack of water in the system be a cause of the pilot flame dying?

sorry, but i dont know what 'continuity across the boiler stat' means?

perhaps i left the pilot unlit for too long? everything was working fine till the pilot flame died suddenly.

Ets start again at the begining.
A) Pilot alaight .................YES
B) Control call for heat......YES
C) Boiler Stat turned up.....YES
D) Pump Running?..............YES/NO

Sounds like an External conmtrol fault to me, but without expert knowledge and an engineer standing in front of the boiler it would be very hard to Guestimate the cause of the fault from my PC!!

Time for a pro to call ;)

yes ihatemyjob, i did put the gas control knob to the on position.

Boilerman2 - no, the pump wasnt running even though the pilot flame was alight, danfoss timer was on and the pump control was at 1 (1 being the lowest position which i usually use, 3 being the highest).

i moved the pump control from 1 to 2 and it came to life very noisily. I switched off the isolating switch and danfoss timer, waited a while and switched them on again. this time the pump started working without too much noise.

things went well for about 2 hours and my flat was heated but the pilot flame has just gone off again. So I'll relight the pilot flame again and hopefully, it will stay on again.

the pilot flame has been going strong all this time but now its gone off twice. when i relit it, it seemed bigger than before. May be my imagination though.

thanks again everyone for your kind help.

greemyamochop - my boiler is potentially dangerous? what should i look out for as signs of danger please? e.g. the pilot flame going out?

thanks

I assumed whilst the pilot light was on the boiler would be running, and from his post it sounds an intermittent fault and not that the pilot is never powering the gv

i wouldnt like to think of what would happen if that boiler was leaking fumes or gas and by helping him re-instate it something happened

Apologies kevplumb your crystal ball is infinitely clearer than mine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back