relighted pilot flame but both c/h & hw not working

thanks kevplumb and greemyamochop

the pilot flame hasnt gone out ever till now when it went out twice.

I left it a while before relighting the pilot flame per the instructions on the boiler. when the pilot flame was relit, the c/h and h/w didnt come on as the pump didnt work till i switched its control from 1 to 2. having done that this evening, the c/h and h/w came on for 2 hours before the pilot flame went out.

the boiler was last serviced last winter by a gas safe heating engineer.

is there anything here that suggests a gas leak please?
e.g. the pilot flame going out twice or the pump not working till i fiddled its control?

thanks once again for all your kind advice.

Sponsored Links
I assumed whilst the pilot light was on the boiler would be running, and from his post it sounds an intermittent fault and not that the pilot is never powering the gv

i wouldnt like to think of what would happen if that boiler was leaking fumes or gas and by helping him re-instate it something happened

Apologies kevplumb your crystal ball is infinitely clearer than mine

never assume anything on a forum fella ;)

A lot of damage can be done in 2 hours in my opinion, i guess you have yours kev

To Mr DIYniubee if it was serviced last winter by a qualified engineer then its due another and i think thats the best advice you can get mate

thanks greemyamochop

does the pilot flame going out twice or the pump not working initially suggest a gas leak please?

is relighting the pilot flame safely done by the user or best left to a heating engineer please?

Sponsored Links
No doesnt suggest a gas leak but your problem will need to be rectified by a registered installer so id leave it to them

Ring one for an annual service and at the same time mention youre problem, shouldnt be much extra to fix on top of already having your boiler stripped down

if pilot stays lit and when pump speed turned up boiler fired for a while, it sounds like a circulation problem - is there an overheat stat/interrupter on your boile rin liner with the thermocouple?

to the original poster - a service does not include a boiler breakdown, you will have to pay extra

thanks everyone for their advice. apologies for late reply as not online often.

i re-lighted the pilot again shortly after my previous post and this time, it stayed alight. whereas previously, the pilot would go off again after a couple of hours. just as well, given the cold weather that followed shortly after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back