smoke alarm interconnect problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a pair of new Kidde 4870 smoke alarms interconnected but there seems to be a problem. I got these to replace my old ones which failed after long service.
I have live (red) and neutral (black) connected from a lighting circuit. When I test these with a voltage tester and no smoke alarms connected I get 240v from the red, zero from the interconnect and the netral.

my interconnect is a single core white/black stripe which I have connected to the middle (orange) interconnect wire on each connector. The neutral (black) is connected to each blue wire in the connector.

Both alarms have the green light on, but when testing, only the alarm on the unit I am pushing goes off, the conected alarm does not sound. I am confident that the interconnect wire is connected properly. Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
If i read this right, you have 4 wires between detectors. Normaly there will only be three, Line/neutral and interconnect. There is usually three core and earth used.

Drop the power from the feed. We know that has power, test between 1st and next smoke, you need a test meter set on Ohms or bell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back