Build reg inspections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just having an extension built, and i know that BC need to check that works are up to scratch (various things etc), are there any "mandatory" inspections..

i realise that BC need to see everything is done as you go, and its up to the builder / you to ensure they can inspect to their satisfaction, but are there any inspection you "must" have at any stage?

Ta

Sponsored Links
Your BCO should be able to inform you of the stages, but they are usually... foundation excavation, foundation concrete, dpc, oversite, roof, drainage. I'm sure the stages may have changed since I used to work in BC but they're the main parts from memory.

If in doubt, ask :)

If you've had drawings approved by Building Control the stages will be included in the Approval but otherwise its something like this although it can vary slightly between authority's

Foundation excavations prior to concreting
Foundation concrete
Over-site (ground floor) prior to concreting
Damp proof course prior to covering
Foul water drainage prior to backfilling
Surface water drainage prior to backfilling
Occupation prior to completion
Completion of works

Once put a hipped roof on an extension. Told owner to get BC out once the roof timbers were up. Next day the owner informed me that BC had failed the roof as one of the hips was touching the outside brickwork.
I phoned up the BC and asked whether he'd got up on the scaffold (Only ground floor extension) and had a look. He told me, he didn't get paid enough to climb up any scaffolding.
I explained that the hip didn't touch the outside brickwork anywhere, having had to cut 2 x birdsmouths. One to seat on the wall plate and the second to clear the external brickwork.
He said "Ahh well that's ok then. I'll pass the roof." :eek: :eek:

I still wonder how he managed to inspect 2 storey extension roofs?
With binoculars :?: :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Don't be misled into thinking that the BCO will be checking all the work to see if it is "up to scratch". The BCO will just be checking that the various stages are done, and or as per the plans and this will have nothing to do with checking the work for quality.

It is possible to have a crap job pass all BCO inspections

It's a good question. As far as I know there is no minimum number of visits. Many jobs get two or three visits throughout the whole job and others can be 10 or 12. And, as woody says, either way it tells you nothing about the quality of the work.

Apart from the more conspicuous inspections already mentioned, there are others such as structural steels and knock-through steels, pad-stones, floor joists, proprietary catnic style lintels (particularly heavy duty fellas), any venting items etc.

The BCO usually mentions the next visit before leaving.

I daresay each individual BCO soon learns both which elements of a job he can trust a builder to do correctly if just left to get on with it, and which builders he can't trust to do anything correctly.

I daresay each individual BCO soon learns both which elements of a job he can trust a builder to do correctly if just left to get on with it, and which builders he can't trust to do anything correctly.
Irrelevant.
Stipulated inspections have to be carried out regardless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back