Too many false alarms - please help

Thank you mr young

I have a friend who can wield a meter but I am beginning to think maybe an expert may be better.

The alarm goes off when set.
It has never gone off when not set "on"
Re: System logs - they are only there if the alarm box records them - from memory I doubt it but I will check the control panel instructions. Unfortunately I am 99% sure I don't have the instructions for the alarm box.
After the alarm, my user panel says which zone the alarm happened in. It is always the same place.
On the occasions when we have been in and it has gone off it is ALWAYS the dining room zone.

Pete

Sponsored Links
You've not got to short out the positive 12v supply or you'll blow a fuse in the control box.

Sorry joe, i dont understand that. wrong post perhaps?

If he takes down the sensor and undoes the wires and he shorts out the +12v he'll blow a fuse in the panel. I usually snip the wire then strip it back again for the new sensor.

Why don't you understand that Mr Young? :p

You've not got to short out the positive 12v supply or you'll blow a fuse in the control box.

Sorry joe, i dont understand that. wrong post perhaps?

If he takes down the sensor and undoes the wires and he shorts out the +12v he'll blow a fuse in the panel. I usually snip the wire then strip it back again for the new sensor.

Why don't you understand that Mr Young? :p

Ah i see, that makes sense ;) the above dont though :p :LOL:

Thank you mr young

I have a friend who can wield a meter but I am beginning to think maybe an expert may be better.

The alarm goes off when set.
It has never gone off when not set "on"
Re: System logs - they are only there if the alarm box records them - from memory I doubt it but I will check the control panel instructions. Unfortunately I am 99% sure I don't have the instructions for the alarm box.
After the alarm, my user panel says which zone the alarm happened in. It is always the same place.
On the occasions when we have been in and it has gone off it is ALWAYS the dining room zone.

Pete

Pete, thats the best thing to do, an enginner can meter out the cable and device as well as checking for insects, your system will also be in need of a service too which will involve checking the capacity of the battery and other readings/checks.

Get 3 quotes from local alarm companies, not your local spark.

Good luck ;)

Sponsored Links
I once had the local council call me out to an alarm I had installed because it kept going off every half an hour or so.~~ snip~~ I was able to disable their alarm without entering the property so goodness knows what their electricity bill would have been when they returned.

According to his posts on this forum Yule guy installs mostly DIY radio linked systems. So for him disable it from outside the property would be a simple task. Fortunately Yale Guy is an honest chap but the technique he used to disable it could also be used by a dis-honest type of person to leave the property un-protected.

Radio linked systems are fast and simple to install. But that massive advantage comes at the cost of the system being less secure against determined attempts to render the system in-effective.

According to his posts on this forum Yule guy installs mostly DIY radio linked systems. So for him disable it from outside the property would be a simple task. Fortunately Yale Guy is an honest chap but the technique he used to disable it could also be used by a dis-honest type of person to leave the property un-protected.

Radio linked systems are fast and simple to install. But that massive advantage comes at the cost of the system being less secure against determined attempts to render the system in-effective.

Yale especially older ones are vunerable to this.
Do not confuse all wireless systems, professional equipment will not and cannot be affected from outside like yale and other DIY systems can. That is why they are graded systems and can be used to call emergency services.

Thanks for the help everyone - especially Mr Young.
I didn't know alarm systems needed servicing - like most of the public I guess.
I understand it is good practice to get 3 quotes but I am usually quite trusting - maybe too much.
How much should I expect to pay for someone to "service" the system?
There are 9 PIRs, control panel, alarm box, 'soundbomb' and remote keypad for security code input.

I found the documents and it says the system is a "Citadel XR2/XR2+" which is made up of a '8SP 404 XR2 G3 panel' with remote LED keypad and communicator. (It also includes the 'Event Log' you asked about.
Thanks again,

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back