yale hsa premium plug-in transformer gets hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i had my yale hsa6400 premium alarm for a year now and all works ok,except for the power plug that powers the control panel.after a short time the plug gets RED HOT and smells like its overheating/burning,also the case has gone yellow from the heat.should the plug get this hot i am worried about it starting a fire.its always been hot,could i have a faulty one and can i buy the plug seperate ?how much do they cost.oh and as soon as i unplug the power the yellow light comes on next to the triangle symbol?

Sponsored Links
the yellow light means it is running on the rechargable standby battery inside. IIRC this lasts about 7 hours before going flat. You can buy a replacement battery when it loses its life.

for a replacement part you should ask Yale http://www.yalesupport.com/contactus.aspx If you have kept the invoice or credit card slip you can try telling them it has not given satisfactory service and ask them to send you a free freplacement.

though I suspect any "wall wart" transformer of the correct output would fit as it has a standard co-ax plug-on connector. I've noticed the white Yale one does seem to get rather hot, so if it was me, I'd be looking for one with a higher rating so it would be lightly loaded. I don't have mine to hand as it is in another house, but I think the rating is on a plate on the transformer cover.

BTW make sure the transformer is in a cool, well-ventilated position (not inside a cupboard or over a radiator, for example) and not dusty, as it does generate heat and needs to lose it to the air. Transformers more often have black casing as this enables them to lose more heat by radiation.

i tried to contact yale on their website but i dont think the contact form was working correctly(they may not have recieved my message).if i take the yale plug to maplins or any good shop do you think they will sell me a better plug which wont get so hot.thanks for your sound advice really helps

someone like Maplins or rapidonline.com

but have a look at the old one so you know its voltage, is it DC, how many mA (milliamps) it is rated at; is it + or - central pin

and I would ask for one with a higher mA rating, so it will tend to run cooler than the old one as it will be running below its max power demand.

You can get replacement transformers where the voltage and polarity are adjustable, if you get one of these, seal the control with Araldite or something so no-one can accidentally change the settings.

The power adaptor for a biggish portable radio might be suitable, especially a 9v DAP radio a they take quite a lot of power. A radio one should have smoothed power output, whereas one for, say, a power tool or a battery charger might have "noisy" or "dirty" output which might possibly interfere with the electronics. The Yale 6400 has a radio receiver and transmitter, as well as a telephone circuit and recorded messages.

Something like this might do if you need 9v and if the barrel size and polarity is right
http://www.rapidonline.com/sku/Elec...PSUs/5W-Switch-mode-plugtop-PSU/74406/85-2926
or
http://www.rapidonline.com/sku/Elec...AC-and-AC-DC-plugtop-linear-PSU/71060/85-2910 but it's only 300mA

Sponsored Links
i had my yale hsa6400 premium alarm for a year now and all works ok,except for the power plug that powers the control panel.after a short time the plug gets RED HOT and smells like its overheating/burning,also the case has gone yellow from the heat.should the plug get this hot i am worried about it starting a fire.its always been hot,could i have a faulty one and can i buy the plug seperate ?how much do they cost.oh and as soon as i unplug the power the yellow light comes on next to the triangle symbol?

Hi ,
I had the same problem , after several emails and filling out their webform I finally got a replacement that works fine. I have a direct email address for them on my home PC which I will PM to you later.

Regards

John

Personally I would bite the bullet and get a higher rated PSU.
That should never overheat.
Cost wise about £25.00 tops from Maplin.
As above take the reading from the plate, Voltage, Ma, and polarity of centre pin.

Or take the old one with you, the standby battery should survive you ppoppingto the shops unless you live in outer Mongolia :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back