Advice Sought On Media Streamer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Slingbox, AppleTV, PopcornHour.....the list is endless. Is there a definitive "best"?

I want to stream music and videos. Not much to ask.
Oh, and internet radio would be good.

Think I know the answer......

Sponsored Links
No 'best' and its far from straight forward either. So many different options for so many different configurations.

Google TV is still too new to know how well its going to work. Its not due to the UK till next year at the earliest

Sponsored Links
most streamers use the same chipset from the company that own popcorn hour.

most differentiation between the boxes come from:

range of formats supported
price
regularity of new software releases / future support
user interface
openness for 3rd party interfaces, etc

to be honest, unless you have a specific type of content in a particular format, or a particalur source machine, then most of the big names will probably meet your needs.

what is it you're hoping to view?

western digital and popcorn hour are well respected.
slingbox is specific for remote viewing, and apple tv if you're an apple household.

I have a Popcorn Hour C200 which is great for hi-def movies and has full blu-ray licence to it can run all the BD Java apps etc. Also has built in internet radio and a host of other applications.

The HDI Dune series are also very good.

I have used Roku Soundbridge and slim server. I now use a mac mini directly connected to my AV system and apple TV in the kitchen. Both brilliant and you can get music to synchronise in differtent rooms. iPhone, ipod and ipad all have the "remote" app which lets you browse your music collection and control your mac/apple tv. DJ playlist is also great fun when you have friends round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back