loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
heyHO

just a real quick one (as they say - oo-errrr!!!)

the insulation in our loft is mankey as, and quite thin - i'm going to replenish it in the next couple of weeks or so..... what i want to know is there any reason why i CAN'T just place the new stuff over the old??

to take out the old insulation would be a horrid job as it's covered in years of dust and loft insulation isn't nice stuff at the best of times so i'm just trying to make my life easy (why do extra work?!?!?)

laters diyers

Sponsored Links
No that's okay, might pay you to give your local planning a ring regarding getting a grant towards your loft insulation if your house was built in certains year,can't remember what the year was.When I did mine is was 66% discount,22 years ago.

my brother and myself did our mothers last sunday, did as you ask, put old onto new.

but dont forget to wear thick rubber gloves and dust mask

Sponsored Links
alrighty

another question for all you loft gurus out there.

had a bit of a better check in the loft last night (was checking the pipe lagging)... anyway i noticed that the current loft insulation goes right to the edge and then is curled up so it's actually resting on the roof tiles (if that makes sense?).

The tiles had a bit of condensation on them - now should the insulation go right to the edge or should a gap be left between the roof and floor so that air can circulate??

ta-tar

Yes you're right , there should be a gap for airflow from the eaves of about 50mm. If any is touching the tiles it will be restricting the airflow and therfore creating the condensation so tuck it down and leave a gap for ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back