Alarm System Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to fit an alarm to the barn I am renovating. I am not sure what alarm system I will use and have bought some door contacts from TLC. They have five terminals each. Two are steel screws and three are brass. How are these wired. Is there a book / website that can explain the wiring. I am fine with electrics but have not wired an alarm before.

Sponsored Links
alarm pair go to silver, tamper pair go to any brass

(if using bouble pole method)

Bare in mind those contacts are ungraded and if eventually the barn is to have police responce they will be no good. Nor any other ungraded products used in the installation.
Also if you do use graded then you will need all reciepts to prove provenance for a registered company to be able to use in the take over.
May sound silly now, wont in a years time when it has to be all ripped out.
Of course if you need police responce.

OK Thanks - Good point. Where do I but graded products and do they have to be fitted by a registered alarm fitter.

Sponsored Links
www.securitywarehouse.co.uk is one place of many to purchase graded parts.

You can fit it, when it is taken over for police responce it will be inspected and if passed commissioned for ARC connection. You will have to keep all reciepts to prove the age and grading. The take over company will probably want to change something, but if you do it all correctly and have provencance of the goods there should be no issues.
Also rememeber once they do this they will change the engineers code and you will not be given it, not unless you cease the contract which will have a minimum term anyway. Then they will reset it, not give you the one they are using.

Hope this helps.

Ok Thanks

Can I just check my understanding of he wiring. For each zone the contacts are all wired in series tha terminates at the control panel. Panic buttons would also be wired in series or maybe one per circuit if the panel allowed. However what is the colour coding.

Also why are there 5 terminals on the contacts if four wires are required.

Each zone is wired seperatley. Well they normally are.
Contacts have 5 terminals in case you did indeed series them.
Colours are your choice. Everyone uses their preferred method of colouring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back