3D TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking for some guidance , her indoors is smitten with a sony 3D tv
after seeing a demo in our local john lewis , the deal is 46 " tv plus blue ray player plus two sets of glasses for £1600 but you get the vat back so you are looking at £ 1400 ish . My question is should we wait as the technology is new and i guess top dollar at the moment , also i dont know what is actually available in 3D . cheers for any replies Mark

Sponsored Links
In my opinion it's best waiting. Having to wear glasses seems a little already seems a little 'primative'. I admit the quality is far better than the old anaglyph but technology is already progressing away from glasses. Look at Nintendo's new DS and Toshiba's new 20 inch TV - neither require glasses to watch 3D. I know the screens are small but i'm sure they'll only get bigger. So i'm going to give it a couple of years, ideally to get a decent sized TV that doesn't require glasses and a chance for technology to develop. If i'm wrong on the progression of 3D then the current method will be cheaper anyway.

On the other hand... how often does your other half allow you to pay £1400 on a tele?

with some things i like to be on the trailing edge of the technology... it just means the bugs n niggles have been ironed out. But with the rest of developing technology, it's a case of just when to jump in.. Part of the decision must be based on your disposable income, so how often you can afford to replace. If for example, you can only afford a new telly every 10 years... better to wait until the technology is established. If you're replacing tv's every year, get in there.. get it bought.

The other thing also comes down to money... top end tv's usually cost anything around £1000 - £1200 say, same with top end PC's .... so for example model A comes out, whets your appetite at £1100. But leave it six months and model B then comes out priced at £1150.. but model A is now £800...and this goes on forever.....

agree with ollie, if you can wait 12 months, you'll start to see mass market TVs which don't need glasses, which will make a big difference-and also destroy the resale value of the glasses TVs available today.

buy cheap and cheerful 2D now, and watch the announcements from the big manfuacturers...

Sponsored Links
also, regarding content... virgin and sky have 3D channels, mostly sports, do you have either of those?

blu rays, mostly the big films in cinemas that are 3D, but they'll be £15+ to buy on BR.

games console games are now coming out in 3D - play any consoles?

also worth considering, many get eye aches after a couple of hours of continuous viewing..

interesting thread..

I have bought the very same package (KDL46HX803 + BDPS4703D5DVI - 3D bundle), take into account I was already looking for a £1400 budget 46" TV, I have now got a better TV, a free Blu-Ray player and 3D I had completly discounted due to cost/fad, plus the VAT back... this was a no-brainer for me.

TV here next week :)

Ferris

3-D TV is like buying into Betamax, and 8 track. It's not going to happen.

Why look at 3-D, if it isn't total immersion? And most of the population doesn't have 20:20 perception, so would not be able to see 3-D anyway?

The only way for this system to work, plus the glasses, is to shake your head about, while wearing stupid glasses, while not immersed, in a society where 3dTV isn't an option.

If I saw a 3-D movie, being blind in one eye, could I get my money back? NOT 3-D. All I see is flicker.

agreed, but as i was looking at a similar model the KDL-46NX703 and the day I decided to buy I got a KDL-46HX803, a free BDP-S470 Blu-Ray player, films a 3D stuff for less than the original deal I am not complaining. would I go and pay extra for 3D? Not a chance, but free???

Ferris

I must have been asleep i didnt realise there was some response to the thread . i decided to bite the bullet and purchased the same as ferris as he says it was a no brainer with vat back and i sold my old tv .
I realise there are limitations at the moment in veiwing availability but hopefully this is changeing rapidly , as said her indoors was keen so if they bring out the specless 3d maybe she will want to upgrade :D .
Anyway i will give some feedback when i have done some veiwing
cheers mark

I must have been asleep i didnt realise there was some response to the thread . i decided to bite the bullet and purchased the same as ferris as he says it was a no brainer with vat back and i sold my old tv .
I realise there are limitations at the moment in veiwing availability but hopefully this is changeing rapidly , as said her indoors was keen so if they bring out the specless 3d maybe she will want to upgrade :D .
Anyway i will give some feedback when i have done some veiwing
cheers mark

It's not that you missed replies, there seems to be problems with autoreply on some posts recently? I'd have reported it to admin, but don't know how, but I'm sure they must be aware of the situation, as presumably their posts aren't getting autoreply? Maybe something is amiss on our computers, dunno.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back