Trianco Eurostar combi 90 oil boiler thermostat B tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please HELP :(

My 12 year old Trianco Eurostar combi 90 oil boiler starts ok but after about 10 mins the thermostat B trips and switches the boiler off. I have just turned the boiler on after its summer rest. There is no hot water. I dont think the central heating pump is running either. Is the central heating pump causing the problem or is it something else? I have checked water levels and they are ok and I bled the pipework on top of the boiler.

Any suggestions would be much thanked.

Sponsored Links
Pump failure would cause overheat stat to trip. The impeller might just be stuck. Have you not used it for HW during its Summer rest?

My 12 year old Trianco Eurostar combi 90 oil boiler starts ok but after about 10 mins the thermostat B trips and switches the boiler off. I have just turned the boiler on after its summer rest. There is no hot water. I dont think the central heating pump is running either. Is the central heating pump causing the problem or is it something else? I have checked water levels and they are ok and I bled the pipework on top of the boiler.

Do you mean the reset button on the boiler that is tripping out, when you say the central heating pump, do you mean the boiler motor?. If so have you had the boiler serviced lately?. More info required.
regards

spraggo

Sponsored Links

A new pump may be required. You can coax it along by removing the chrome screw ( dependent on model ) and turning the impeller with a screwdriver, if it is seized then get your wallet out :)

Do you mean the reset button on the boiler that is tripping out, when you say the central heating pump, do you mean the boiler motor?. If so have you had the boiler serviced lately?. More info required.
regards

spraggo[/quote]

Hi Spraggo
No not the reset button. I meant the boiler thermostat button (hidden away in the dark that you have to grope in to find).
No the motor that drives the oil pump and fan is running great. It is the heating circulating pump that is dead.

Many thanks!!

A new pump may be required. You can coax it along by removing the chrome screw ( dependent on model ) and turning the impeller with a screwdriver, if it is seized then get your wallet out :)[/quote]

Hi
In my excitement armed with a screwdriver I tried to get at the crome screw. It is jammed in behind the pipework so can only get the screwdriver in at a steep angle... then the water started to come out... I guess I need to drain it down first....

Many thanks.

The overheat stat will always trip out if the heating system can't disperse the heat that the boiler is producing. Therefore you need to determine if the water circulating pump is actually spinning......if you remove the central chrome screw (prepare for some spillage) you can spin the pump impeller with a small screwdriver - this may get the thing going.
Also check for 240 volts to the pump when the system calls for heat.
If there is a voltage present, but the pump still doesn't want to know, a new pump is needed.
John :)

Pump failure would cause overheat stat to trip. The impeller might just be stuck. Have you not used it for HW during its Summer rest?

Hi
No it has been switched off totally since April.

Now I will try and see if I can get the impeller to turn- if not I will buy new pump.

Many many thanks for all your help!!!!

The overheat stat will always trip out if the heating system can't disperse the heat that the boiler is producing. Therefore you need to determine if the water circulating pump is actually spinning......if you remove the central chrome screw (prepare for some spillage) you can spin the pump impeller with a small screwdriver - this may get the thing going.
Also check for 240 volts to the pump when the system calls for heat.
If there is a voltage present, but the pump still doesn't want to know, a new pump is needed.
John :)

Hi John
There is absolutely no action going on in my pump. When it was working and I put my hand on it I could feel it running. Im going to check the impeller and I will check for the voltage as well as you suggested.

Many many thanks!!

I just thought you would like to know that it was the pump and a new one got the problem sorted!
Anyone else stuck with this problem might like to know that when I turned the isolating valves off to get the pump out both of the little devils started dripping. They refused to stop. Then the drain cock decided it would jam so I couldnt drain the system easily. I had to disconnect some pipework from the bottom of the radiator... I then took the isolating valves off and laid them to rest in the bin... then of course the straight connectors I replaced them with were different lengths so more pipe work needed changing... many trips to the DIY store and many hours later soggy and frozen I turned the boiler back on and hey presto there was warmth:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back