Security floodlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of houses have been broken into in our street, our house is pretty secure but the wife now wants a security light fitted round the back. The type that lights up the whole garden when anything moves.

If I was to buy one from, say screwfix, can I just run a cable round to the fuse box and then get a sparks to wire it up for me?

Can anyone recommend a good light? Or where would be a good place to buy one from?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can't run any old cable around the house, it must be suitable for the environment.
So needs to be suitable for both cold and warm weather and also may need to be mechanically protected against accidental or intentional damage.
If cable is going to be routed anywhere that it could be prone to damage, SWA cable could well be the best product, if it placed in a position where mechanical damage is unlikely to occur, you will best using Hi Tuff cable for installation.
The cable needs to be securely fixed to the wall, non armoured cable should be clipped on the horizontal, no more than every 250mm and vertical 400mm.
Armoured Cable will be clipped, no more than horizontal 350mm and vertical 450mm.
A Time Guard SLW500 500W PIR Halogen Floodlight, are not to bad, but whether it will light up the whole garden depends on how big the garden is?
You may need more than one!
Your electrician should inform you of the current rating of the cable and the devices used as protection and any de-rating factors.

the wife now wants a security light fitted round the back.
So the wife is going to sit up all night every night to watch the back garden to see if the light comes on is she?

Lights are of no use in deterring unwelcome visitors, in fact they do the exact opposite, they help them to find their way around. (no one is watching at 03:00)

Yeah, and I'm the one who will have to go out and deal with them :unsure:

I don't like the sound of these lights.

Sponsored Links
You can be a bit clever.
Speaker with a recorded message, linked to a pir.

Nothing like a "oi dipstick I can see you" to make em run.
Unless foxes and badgers trip the system :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back