wiring an old plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently bought an old keyboard which works, but I came to change the plug and can`t remember where the two wires went! One is black and the other is blue. On looking at info on old appliances it appears that black and blue are both neutral, so I am now a bit confused! Please advise, thanks :eek:

Sponsored Links
francy said:
Hi, I have recently bought an old keyboard which works, but I came to change the plug and can`t remember where the two wires went! One is black and the other is blue. On looking at info on old appliances it appears that black and blue are both neutral, so I am now a bit confused! Please advise, thanks :eek:
if its class 2 (no earth) then it doesnt really matter which way they go

Remember this.

BRown goes to Bottom Right pin and BLue goes to Bottom Left pin.

While the Green and Yellow Earth (If Any) goes to the Giant top pin..

A good method to remember which goes where.

Don't think that's going to help.

Black is likely to be live. Wire the black wire to the live terminal, and the blue to the neutral.

Sponsored Links
sounds like some older european equipment. as said black is probablly the live but it also almost certainly doesn't really matter which way round you connect them to the live and neutral pins.

It's probably one of these appliances with a reversible fig of 8 connector as found on standard portable radios and the like - LOL :LOL:

Never heard this one before - Black as live on an appliance flex?

Confused? - I am certainly, especially when BLACK = NEUTRAL is implanted in my mind for all these years.....

kai said:

Confused? - I am certainly, especially when BLACK = NEUTRAL is implanted in my mind for all these years.....

black as neutral... not anymore! we all know the government likes to confuse us, always changing colour codes

kai said:

in lots of europe black as live is common in fixed wiring and i belive this also applies to older appliance flexes from those countries.

kai said:
Kai - you need to remove that association from your mind immediately, or stop having anything to do with electrical wiring....

Have seen loads of mexican fan blowers for inflatable bouncy castles etc - they have green and black or white and black. Always put the black as live, although inside the appliance, it is hit and miss which way around it is connected.

Oh - and they are 60hz, so the thermal trips pop from time to time!

Ever seen the 12m tall corona bottles?? These are used to inflate them at festivals etc.

Kia, you need to look at the wiring when you go on holiday -only we use black-neutrals in the UK, and not any more in flexes , at least officially.
Old east europe colours.
red/black/grey => red earth, black live, grey neutral If this gets confused with old UK colurs it can be fatal, which is why Polish and East German leccies wince at ythe idea of a live red wire.

West europe post war colours
Black blue green => blacklive, blue neutral green earth
old UK colours
red/black/ green, =>red live, black neutral, green earth

Harmonised colours
Brown balck or grey, live
Blue neutral
green/yellow strips earth.

The black/white green is american, and black (or red) are hots, white is neutral and green is earth.

Now you see why we needed harmonised colours....

But as has been said, on a two core european flex, who cares, the plugs are reversible, and the appliences are designed to take that.

Lectrician said:
Ever seen the 12m tall corona bottles??
gdv_anim.gif

IF you can open an applicance and only one core goes via the appliance on/off switch connection that to live in the UK!

It was pretty common on Continental equipment in the 1970s instead of brown, especially gear from France.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back