Carpet underlay what side touches the concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a quicky here does the blue side of the 10 mm foam underlay touch the floor or is it the otherside thats like a waxy side?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Not 100% sure here as there seem to be many different types of underlay but as a general rule it always seems to me that if there is writting on it that faces up. Also if it's still rolled up it will unroll the correct way up, you'd have to turn it over otherwise.

Thanks for that info,

It is roled so blue would go on concrete unfortantly theres no writing on other side its just the sponge with a wax coating i will go with blue down then thanks again.

Lee

Sponsored Links
140.jpg

Ok this is the stuff now im confused we got a 50-50 here so best to show pic lol to lay it down or lay it up that is thy question

Cheers

Blue side up for definate

the blue colour identifies its thickness

film to the floor helps stop dust being sucked through your carpet by your vacuum

I'm not a carpet layer so will bow to lymmranger's better knowledge, I was just going by observations made on sites.
Lymmy , can't help thinking that it all sounds a right ballache having to turn it all over , looking at the photo it'll unroll upside down i.e. blue side down or is it usd that way in other situations?

B4JmBwmkKGrHqVhsEydpp40RBMozdnEDq_3.jpg

This is a closer look ladylola i think your right, or if not Carpet right that have done our main room have done it wrong they have done it blue side down but saying that my new underlay as got a waxing on the otherside were the main room is just foam and blue other side ;) i could not help but take our carpet up to have a look a few minutes ago. :evil:

According to our supplier its blue side up

Normally (Cloud nine) the film side has the writing on it and would be film up. However Cloudnine as currently supplied is pants and most retailers use an alternative

With all the other manufacturers there is no true (impervious) film so actually it doesnt really matter. The effectiveness of the film is questionable anyway

This (PU) type of underlay is a source of great debate anyhow, some fitters claim it is too bouncy to give correct support on stair pads, I prefer it personally, and it has a great memory - dints caused by furniture seem to bounce out quite quickly

If you have already fitted it just leave it ;)

Hi lymmranger,

Thanks for the detailed explaination anough said its not down yet so can do what you say ;)

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back