Electric or power shower MCB advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower is knackered and I need to replace it. Currently have a 7kw triton biarritz electric shower on a 32A MCB protected by an RCD (hope I got that right), on a low pressure gravity fed water system.

The pressure I used to get from that was pathetic so I want one with more pressure/power.
I don't want to have to change electrics/wiring etc, just swap it out for something else (if that is possible), and I don't know about cable sizes.

1: What is the most powerful "electric" shower I can get for MCB type?

2: Can I change to a power shower, and will that be same on electrics etc / is it rated the same etc (I have no idea).

As you can probably guess I am not an electrician or plumber, so any help at a technical level I would be able to understand would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Currently have a 7kw triton biarritz electric shower on a 32A MCB protected by an RCD (hope I got that right), on a low pressure gravity fed water system.

That cannot be right. Shjowers like this MUST be connected to the mains supply, not from the (gravity) cold water tank/.

Sponsored Links
an electric shower must be connected to a rising main, if you have a gravity fed system then consider either a power shower or a pump and mixer shower

Though, of course, then you need hot water from your hot water supply, heated by some other means.

That cannot be right. Shjowers like this MUST be connected to the mains supply, not from the (gravity) cold water tank/.
You think that nobody has ever installed one like that because of gross incompetence?

No, it's not right but it might indeed be what the OP has.

I cant find any information on this shower.

It could be a pumped shower on the cold downservice.

It is a classic electric shower that heats up water that is supplied under mains pressure. There is no pump in it.

To ab123. If you have a gravity system that provides you with hot and cold water to your bath then it would be better to install a shower pump and use the hot water that you already have.

You need to be sure exactly what what water supplies are available.

An appropriate thermostatic mixer will usually give a superior performance to any electrically heated shower, and adding a pump can make it even more so.

However, if you have gravity hot and mains cold supplies, fitting a mixer can be problematic unless you select one capable of handling supplies at different pressures, and fitting a pump to augment a mains cold supply is a no-no.
Some have used a pumped hot supply and a mains pressure cold supply, but that has it's problems too.

Any upgrade of your electrically heated shower would probably need completely re-wiring, as a higher water flow would need more electrical power to heat the water, as 7 KW is already near the edge of what a 32 Amp circuit will provide.

Many assume poor performance from an electric shower is caused by low water pressure. The usual limit is acually how fast the water can be heated with the available electric power. Increase the water flow, and all you get is a cold shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back