Telephone bleeping

No phone in the room last night Johnboy but we still got the bleeping at 1.00 am. It was coming from the socket. Phoned BT. They say it is a fault in the exchange and will be fixed today. She had never heard of a socket bleeping without having anything plugged in before.

Sponsored Links
I have just phoned BT to see if the exchange fault had been fixed and was told they do not know when the engineers will fix it and I shouldn't have been told it would be done today. I was also told that line checks do not cause beeping, it is just a 'ping' and that it sounds as if something is interfering with the phone system. It was suggested it might be my BT broadband and to unplug it but I've had broadband for 18 months and this beeping only started about a week ago. I was also asked if we had cordless phones. We haven't. The only cordless thing we have is a door chime and I was told it could be that causing the beeping.

There is an "intelligent" form of NT that seems to have the designation

NTElite

It appears to have components inside which suggest it could respond to a signal from the routiner ( test equipment ) at the exchange and maybe disconnect internal wiring from the incoming pair for a period of time.

This would enable a line test to be conducted without any effect from internal wiring.

Signals from the exchange might be a high level of tone signal that might result in a mechanical component in the NTElite "singing" at that tone.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all your help.No bleeps last night. I was told by BT to unplug everything in the house as something was affecting the phone. Also my neighbour had trouble with his internet connection and contacted BT. It was an outside fault which has been fixed. So one way or another the problem seems to be solved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back