Condensation on bedroom windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just found this after googlng double glazed windows steamed up.

Our upstairs windows are just awful at the moment. They steam up so much in the evening when we goto bed and in the morning I have to wipe them all over. We are now getting damp patches in the corner of our bedrooms. I was told to leave a window slightly open but when its -4 and we have a baby that isn't the greatest of ideas.

I always leave them wide open when we get up to clear them but this is getting me down now as theres little wet patches on the window sill.

Please help!

Sponsored Links
This ancient thread concerns misting on the OUTSIDE of the windows which is caused by a characteristic of modern efficient double glazing & their energy efficient coatings.

What you are describing is condensation on the INSIDE of the windows which is caused in no particular order by;
Old inefficient double glazing
New efficient double glazing with no natural ventilation
High ambient moisture content inside the home
Drying washing indoors
Moisture generated by cooking, bathing, breathing not being able to escape
No forced ventilation (fans) in kitchen/bathroom/utility rooms
Lack of natural ventilation
Insufficient background heating
Inappropriate heating – paraffin or LPG heaters generate tremendous amount of moisture
Possible damp penetration through the walls

Moisture must be allowed to escape somehow or it will condense on the coldest surface in the room. It’s important to have one window in each used bedroom & the main living area slightly open for at least a couple of hours a day &, as you’ve found, it will clear. Have you tried leaving a window in each used bedroom slightly open at night, fresh air never killed anyone & human beings exhale a great deal of moisture overnight. A slightly higher ambient temperature overnight will also help, switching heating off completely for 6 hours will reduce the dew point significantly. Here’s a link for you to read;
http://www.diydata.com/problem/condensation/condensation.php

Hi mate,
Not really possible to turn off heating as our little baby will get cold.

Hi mate,
Not really possible to turn off heating as our little baby will get cold.
I didn't tell you to turn the heating off, I said a slightly higher temperature overnight should help reduce condensation. Switching the heating off completely for 6 hours will reduce the air temperature to its dew point and beyond causing moisture in the air to condense on the coldest
surfaces. Your basic problem is one of excessive humidity inside the house caused by one or more of the problems I listed. Unless you either raise the ambient temperature or reduce the relative humidity by ventilation you will never cure the problem; only other thing I can suggest is a dehumidifier.

There is no reason why your baby should get cold even with a window slightly open, as long as it has suitable clothing & bedding, it'll be fine; the fersh air will even do it some good.

Sponsored Links
As mentioned a dehumidifier will control it but does produce warm air moisture back into the room!

Or get a leather cloth and keep wiping it clean

Bring back my childhood draughty old house back :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back