New Alarm System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere before,
but I'll ask anyway.
I want to install an intruder alarm system at my home, it's not something I have a lot of knowledge of even though I am electrical competent, never needed to or been asked to fit an alarm system.
Anyway, there are so many out there, so I am after recommendations.

The house is a three bedroom semi on two levels, it has a a door entrance to front, side and back(patio sliding doors). Large window in both kitchen and front room.
It is only really necassary to alarm the downstairs, the back is most vulnerable as it backs on to a canal tow path which on an evening is dark and would be an ideal break in and escape route.
Is it best to go mains or wireless?

Any advice appreciated very much

Sponsored Links
Hi there, not too up on em either but have fitted a couple of wired ones, The reasoning behind was I kn ow in the old days and maybe still the wireless ones could be jammed where as the wired ones can't. I think I got the last one from Macro but it was a good one for about £100
Paul

That's very much my issue, how reliable are the wireless ones and can the signal be effected.
I have noticed that the wireless ones seem to be more expensive than the hard wired ones.
Is that just a commercial selling point as fitting a wireless one is less aggro, as far as routing the cables and any chasing out and remedial work, or is it that they are any good?

personally i would go for a fully wired system.
as a sparkie yourself, you should be able to hide the cabling!

texacom cooper menvier panels all good, steer away from honeywell galaxy as you will have problems with that as its a not a diy system.

wireless, well, don't you yale, if you are going to go down the wireless route, use the ion range from cooper scantronic, a good system

but here are others and i am sure you will get more info from here soon.

Oasis

Sponsored Links
I have noticed that the wireless ones seem to be more expensive than the hard wired ones.

Because instead of a terminal block for wires they have to have a battery holder and a radio transmitter and or receiver built in to each and every item.

Yes they can be jammed. Many detect jamming and give an indication but while the jamming signal is there detectors detecting an intruder cannot communicate with the panel.

Some indicate jamming by setting off the external alarm. Which is good if the jamming is from someone trying to disable the system. But it is annoying to neighbours if the jamming is accidental from something operating legally on the same radio frequency.

If the bell / siren box is "wireless" and hence battery powered then after a prolonged length of jamming the battery goes flat and the alarm is rendered impotent.

Thanks for all the advice and information, very much appreciated.
I think i'll give the wireless ones a miss then and make a mess of some plaster instead.

Run your cables under the floorboards and just drop down as required. Leave the flippin' plaster alone.

Run your cables under the floorboards and just drop down as required. Leave the flippin' plaster alone.
I would but all the floors upstairs have been laminated and the skirts sat on top, be a bug-ger to pull up without causing more aggro than routing cable through the plaster walls.
If I use my brain in manner that it is not used to being used, could get away with minimum damage.

Laminate flooring? You've got a good excuse to get rid of the hideous stuff now.:p

don't get me going on laminate flooring put a load down at ours 2 weeks ago now her who must be obeyed wants new ouside lighting so up its coming lol
Why do we bother lol

Unfortunately when I laid mine, I replaced all the old skirts at the same time. So laid the floor then sat the skirts on top, so to up the laminate would mean to remove the skirts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back