Bright idea needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a private road, I have a small garden wall along the front of the house, then some pavement and then the road.

Dog walkers keep parking outside my house, half on the pavement/half on the road (in front of my gate). This causes problems when someone with a buggy, or wheelchair try and get through my gate.

They only have to drive a little further and they can park without causing problems to anyone.

I want to discourage them from parking there, has anyone got any ideas of how I should do this?

I thought about raising the kerb a touch, or putting a couple of bollards on the pavement, I will have to speak with Planning. Before I go to the planners I thought I'd see if anyone had any better ideas?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
As a private road, do the residents own the road or does the council own the road yet the residents are responsible for its upkeep? Is there a residents association or company paid to organise its upkeep? You’ll need to discuss it with the other residents/management company before you do anything.

Have you tried speaking with them?

You could try a visit to your local councillor's surgery. Always helps to have them on-side.

It's a private road, the residents are responsible for the upkeep, we have a management company that takes care of it.

Before I go to them, I wanted to have an idea of what I wanted, like the bollards idea.

Sponsored Links
Try butting a notice on your gate, reading "PLEASE DO NOT PARK IN FRONT OF GATE, INVALID ACCESS SPACE NEEDED"

on a road I visit regularly there is a large grass verge which cars ruin by parking on. The residents have taken to protecting them with sections of tree trunk (presumably donated by local tree surgeons). Would this work here?

a couple of well placed scratches with the buggies will solve the problem..
or buy a cheap can and park it out of the way for you but in a position that makes it impossible for them to park there..

A laminated signs explaining that it is a private road and any accidental damage to a persons car is not covered by their insurance would probably help too..

A daft idea maybe, but paint a yellow chevron'd area in front of the driveway.. our brain tend to work better subconciously.... or buy an old wreck and park that on the road aganist the kerb, in that spot?

Try butting a notice on your gate, reading "PLEASE DO NOT PARK IN FRONT OF GATE, INVALID ACCESS SPACE NEEDED"

I like this idea, but I would make it a sign on a pole to look more like a parking sign, in bright colours - if you can live with it.

Rgds

I like this idea, but I would make it a sign on a pole to look more like a parking sign, in bright colours - if you can live with it.

Rgds

Yes, this is a good idea. If you seen him/her parking there you could go out and tell them not to park here.

RCjunior

Let at least 2 of the b*****s tyres down.

Doesn't count as criminal damage but it doesn't half put a crimp in their ability to drive the car.

Another tip I heard once was to write on the windows in lipstick - apparently it is extremely difficult to remove, but again does no damage.

But really
I want to discourage them from parking there, has anyone got any ideas of how I should do this?
Try asking them politely - they may simply have no idea of the problems they are causing. That will also help give you a feel for whether they are likely to put a brick through your windows if you end up having to take more direct action.

What about putting a couple of plant pots/planters there for a couple of weeks so people get the idea?

They'd have to allow space past for a double buggy.

It could also be a problem having them there in the dark if someone trips at night. You might want therefore to bring them in at night.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back