CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to have CCTV at various places outside my house to cover the property and entrance to the land.

This is probably a really silly question but do all CCTV systems have to be hard wired ? Some of the cameras will be some distance from the house and I dont really fancy digging out routes in the garden for wires etc.

Any system reccomendations / suppliers etc appreciated

Sponsored Links
This is probably a really silly question but do all CCTV systems have to be hard wired ? Some of the cameras will be some distance from the house and I dont really fancy digging out routes in the garden for wires etc.
Wired is ALWAYS BEST, if done correctly.

True wired is best for quality - but you can also use IP cameras (if your willing to pay for it) you can then have zoom/tilt/pan etc... get yourself a decent HDD recorder also and its ideal.

If you choose togo wireless - perhaps sign up with a dns server so that you can watch the property from whereever you want?

Most wireless camera systems are subject to distance limitations and bleed over if other wireless items are used nearby.
You have to power the cameras anyway, so drop in the cables at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Hi mate it all depends how much you want to spend i have just installed a system using conventional camera's (micky domes)but they are then encoded to ethernet and then sent via a ethernet wireless point to point network to the decoders and then on to DVR 15miles away.throughput on point to point is 150mbps max but i am only using 36% even with an access control system and telemetry on the network.

encoders /decoders anything from £100-£200 each
point to point ethernet units £300 each

Another vote for wired I'm afraid. I've installed and maintained a lot of IP camera systems and experimented heavily with wireless of all flavours (including directional), ethernet over power etc, and there is no substitute for cat5e. Works through all weathers, doesn't get upset with neighbours wireless bleedover, uses less power and "just works" nearly every time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back