hard wiring an electric hob and single oven together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People
Can anyone tell me the best way to connect an electric hob and a single oven together.Using a hard wiring system

Sponsored Links
Firstly, more information. Need to check that the existing supply is enough for the new load!

What is the KW rating of the hob and the oven?

What is the rating of the supply into the kitchen?

WHat do the manufacturer say about fusing for each (eg is the oven supplied with a lead and a 13A plug) etc etc/.

A hob can be any where between 2.7Kw for a domino to 10kw for an induction and an oven anywhere between 2.2kw to 5kw with fan plus top and bottom elements. Some have timers to alternate between top element and fan element and are still under 3kw others are well over.

The hob and oven will have a minimum requirement but also may have a maximum and with the latter it is some times impossible to supply them both from the same automatic disconnection device. (Fuse/MCB)

With most houses having a 32A supply to cooker point with 6mm cable giving a max of 7.4kw allowing for diversity (i.e. not induction hob) then likely you can use a 6kw hob and 3kw oven together from a 32A supply but with induction hobs 1) they are often fan cooled so you don't want the supply to trip and 2) often well over 6kw 3) because of boost diversity can't be used in same way.

Having said that my stand alone oven and hob states it needs a 32A supply and has two 3kw rings a 3.7kw ring and a 2.3kw ring and top oven with single element and bottom oven with three elements back (fan) top and bottom. There are some interlinks to stop you using all rings on max and maybe there are other interlinks to stop overloading which does point out why you have to read what the manufacture recommends.

If your oven is over 3kw likely you will need second supply. Under 3kw likely you will need a fused connection unit.

Do be aware of Part P of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back