Sky HD in 2nd room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Current set up is HD TV in one room with Sky+ HD box and subscription. This is connected to HD ready TV in second room by aerial cable and Magic Eye. Thus second TV can receive all subscribed to channels but not in HD. Would like to see HD quality pictures on second TV. Obvious option is Sky multiroom, but this will require a second Sky+ HD box (at £199) and a second Sky+ HD subscription (at £10pm) as well as Multiroom subscription (at £10pm). Any suggestions as to any other way to get true HD picture in 2nd room?

Sponsored Links
HDMI splitter + long HDMI cable to 2nd room. Use the existing Sky Eye for control only. Watch in HD.

is your sky+ HD box old enough to have a component output?

Sponsored Links
as far as i know with sky you can only have the first tv in hd :cry:
No, that isn't true. You can use a HDMI splitter/amplifier to run a number of screens all in HD resolution. You could quite easily pipe HD to the lounge, dining room, conservatory, kitchen and a couple of bedrooms if you have the right bits of gear. :)

HDMI adaptors which use cat 5e cable to do the long runs, as these can carry the data.

Really? Can you explain how it work and can I use it for my second tv in bedroom?
I have a sky+HD in lounge and bought a new samsung LE32C530 for gaming and it would be brillant to have HD sky on my second TV.

Is there a website that explain what to use and how to fit?

Thanks

Dan

HDMI adaptors which use cat 5e cable to do the long runs, as these can carry the data.

Really? Can you explain how it work and can I use it for my second tv in bedroom?
I have a sky+HD in lounge and bought a new samsung LE32C530 for gaming and it would be brillant to have HD sky on my second TV.

Is there a website that explain what to use and how to fit?

Thanks

Dan

Lots of options here:

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/product.php?mycat=539&start=0&end=60

EDIT: Remember that you can only extend a stereo audio signal using HDMI/Cat5 adapters and you will still need a method to extend the IR signals back to the box so you can control the source. Keene have solutions to most of those problems though.

EDIT: Remember that you can only extend a stereo audio signal using HDMI/Cat5 adapters and you will still need a method to extend the IR signals back to the box so you can control the source. Keene have solutions to most of those problems though.

I do believe, in reference to your suggestion of the IR signal, you will still be able to utilise the RF cable to do this alongside the cat5 / HDMI cable setup.

It will cost a bit to set it all up, and obviously a lot of cable running, but it is feasible. I'm in the process of researching it myself, just got Sky HD upgrade (very good) and at the moment only have an RF signal to my bedroom TV via the Magic Mouse to watch Sky and change channels. If I find out any info I will post it........... in laymans terms so I can understand it too :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back