Connecting TV set, VCR/DVD,STB.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an elderly Panasonic tv set, a fairly new Humax stb and a not too old Toshiba DVD/VCR.
I've read all the manuals several times but still can't figure out how to connect them up so they work properly.
The problem is that I can't work out how to connect all three together.

Stb to scart to set - works fine.
DVD/VCR to scart to set - works fine.

When I connect as appears in the manuals I only get a black/white picture, either with DVD or VCR.

Can anyone make any suggestions please?.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the TV manual about the types of signal that the SCART sockets can accept. There are three...

Composite (AKA 'CVBS') - lowest quality but universally accepted. This is what VCRs normally use.

S-Video (AKA 'S') - big step up from Composite.

RGB - highest quality - used by Sky box, TV set top boxes, DVD players.

If you are trying to send a signal via the TV i.e. the set top box via the TV to the recorder, then they all need to be set to the lowest common denominator.

Black & White signals usually signify that one device is set to either send or receive S-Video.

SCART uses some of the same pins for different signals. When it is composite and S-video mixed up you get the black & white part of the picture but no colour.

I have a reasonably modern Panasonic and I have also had problems getting all boxes connected to the TV.
The TV has two SCART and S-Video and Composite however it seems there is a problem due to the freeview in TV having an output and this caused a loop. I ended up removing one wire in SCART lead.
OK a few more boxes than you with DVD player, DVD/Hard-drive recorder/player, VCR, and Sky+ box. Also a Blu-ray box but that uses HDMI so not connected with rest.
The two SCART sockets on the sky+ box are not the same, and the two SCART sockets on the TV are not the same.
I have swapped plugs in about every configuration one can think before getting all to work.
Even now an odd thing where if the DVD/Hard Drive recorder loses power then I get no picture on re-powering it. I have to press the input select button and go around in a circle before picture works.
Some items I can only connect with front plugs on DVD/Hard Drive recorder and have to have the unit running to connect them to TV.
The firewire connection seems to have a mind of it's own and sometimes even switches camera on remotely.
Only method is to try all combinations. We some times still get a ghost image from freeview and I have to select a unused analogue channel as it seems freeview does not switch off even when not selected.
Freeview is a pain as every couple of days the TV wants me to re-turn. Bring back analogue all is forgiven.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the help guys, at least I know now that it isn't unusual and I'll just go through your suggestions and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back