Asbestos board under stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an early 70s property, and when going into the understairs cupboard this morning (quite large) noticed that the area directly under the stairs is boarded, with the boarded nailed in. It's been painted over a lovely bright yellow.

I saw a little damage around one of the nails, and the board seemed quite thin, but it looked bright white (not grey) with shiny bits in. Does that sound like asbestos board?

Sponsored Links
sounds like the modern equivalent of asbestos boards to me, firelux, which contains no asbestos. I suggest that if your worried about it you get a sample tested to put your mind at rest . If you want to stop it from spreading fibres for now, just paint over the damage with neat PVA glue

Nick

at that age it could be asbestos, just paint it so its sealed.

Sponsored Links
I saw a little damage around one of the nails, and the board seemed quite thin, but it looked bright white (not grey) with shiny bits in. Does that sound like asbestos board?

If it's white with shiny bits, then it's probably Supalux or Masterboard. Both of these are supposed to be asbestos-free products, but it does depend on when it was manufactured... The very early Supalux-type products have been found to contain traces of asbestos. It is rare as rocking horse poo, but it does happen. A testing lab with UKAS accreditation for asbestos bulk sample analysis in accordance with HSE publication HSG248 will be able to confirm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back