tiling bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My bathroom floor space is 2.5m2 plus the bath.
I am wanting to tile the floor witch is currently vomit coloured lino/vinyl.
On removing the bath panel to see what was under lino ive noticed its only 3-4mm hardboard.The floor boards run across the room under the side of the bath and toilet and sink.
Do i need to remove the foorboards to put 18 or 25 wpb down or is there somthing thiner i can put down that will do the same.The floorboards are solid and flat but i havnt got a great deal of height to play with.I dont mind plaining a little off the door but i dont want to create a step.

Sponsored Links
if the floorboards are solid and flat,then 6mm hardie backerboards..just follow mfr inst.

Do you screw 6mm down aswell as use adhesive?
Aslo which common adhesive would you use?

Plenty of places sell the board and nothing to put it down with.

secure f/boards down with screws,
prime floorboards with SBR
use a single part flexiable adhesive,mapei/bal/ardex/weber..using a 6mm notched trowel apply thinset to floorboards..
fix hardie boards(staggered..usually do this before anything so you can get them all cut to size).
screw hardie boards down using 12mm hardie screws.
use a fiba tape on all joints with a flexiable addy.

tile,
seal(if needed)..
grout.
wash and polish.
seal(if needed)

if using a single part flex addy for tile fixing,check the grouting time,will usually be 16hrs before you can grout.
or
if using a rapidset flex,about 3hrs before grouting.

Sponsored Links
Which product would you use for fixing the tiles,it does need to be a rapid because as soon as i start i just know r lass will want the pot.

what size of tile are you fixing?

what type of tile is it?..stone/ceramic/porclain etc?

do they need sealed?

have you fixed tiles before or used a rapidset flex adhesive before?

have you the correct tools...mixing paddle etc...

Dont quite know which tile but itll be 300x300mm and ceramic.
Ive tiled walls before,well ive helped tile a wall before and that was using some unibond stuff,didnt take much notice at the time.
Im thinking of going for a dark brown tile with black grout and then waterproofing the grout as its in the bathroom.
I will have most of the tools knocking about except tile cutter.

andy
imo just stick to a single part flex mate..its cheaper and also the pot life and working times are a lot better than rapidflex...
you can walk on the floor after a few hours after you have fixed them...she can just cross her legs... :LOL:

you will be using a spf to fix your hardie boards anyway..

i work with rapidset and rapidset flex on a daily basis..and you do have to watch your mixing and times as it can go off on you pretty quickly mate,espeically when working in low temp areas.

so imo..
bal spf
weber spf
mapei keraflex
ardex flex range

and a flex grout as well,make sure you get one for "floors"...

best off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back