replacing telephone wire in garden to pavement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The 1950's house i have moved into gives a pretty poor adsl connection of 3mb. The wire from the house to the pavement is exposed on top of the garden and the wire looks in pretty poor condition which i believe is harboring the adsl connection speed. How can i get sky/bt to repair this?
Is it free, or any idea on cost?
thanks

Sponsored Links
As I understand it your providor is responsible for the external, you from the master socket.
Give them a ring and ask.

it needs to be worn out to such an extent the phone is unusable, they don't guarntee any bb speed

are you talking cable or bt ??
a cable on the surface is certainly worth protecting
who exposed the cable how was it origionaly protected
as said its working they wont be interested a loose cable will not effect your broad band speed to any extent a bad connections will

Sponsored Links
out of interest where does this cable go back to? is it a box under the pavement? there are no boxes present at pavement height.

is is cable/ virgin ??? it will be a black plastic disc about3" 75mm on the wall/fence line to one side or the other on the pavement

it is BT cable, virgin not in this area.

When i lived in a new apartment i used to get 12mb all day long. Do you think the speed decrease is down to the older wiring or distance from exchange?

thanks

io you think the speed decrease is down to the older wiring or distance from exchange?

Yes it does descrease with distance from the exchange, and the layout of the internal wiring will affect the speed. Separating the ADSL signal and telephone signals at the point the cable comes into the house can increase speed significantly if there is a lot of internal phone wiring. Normally this is done by changing the front of the NTE5 ( BT master socket ) for one with an ADSL filter that provides 2 connections. One for all phones which then do not need microfilters and one for the ADSL modem ( router ).

You can change the front plate of the BT NTE5 but you must not interfere with the back half ( fixed to the wall ) or the cable connected to from it the the street.

One source of these filters is
http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/adsl-around-the-home.pdf
there are other sources

is is cable/ virgin ??? it will be a black plastic disc about3" 75mm on the wall/fence line to one side or the other on the pavement

Never seen a cable box like the one you've described! Thought they were all brown or grey rectangular boxes.

Never seen a cable box like the one you've described! Thought they were all brown or grey rectangular boxes.

its the street end off the trunking i was describing hence "on the pavement" ;)

Think theres some confusion here.

Cable systems have a green/brown rectangular box at most street corners. This, I believe, is where the fibre signals are split into co-ax and copper phone cables. Some of these newer boxes have fans and make noise, annoyingly.

The twin cable runs along the road to small triangular or circular or square inspection covers outside each property on the back edge of the pavement. This is where the cable man joins your cable to the street cable.

From here, they run a green conduit (usually on the surface of your front garden, or just below the surface if they can be arsed). This goes to the front of your house, where they mount a brown box usually. Here, they can run several cables to several cable and phone points on your property. All the cable boxes and points in/on your house are done up with stardrive screws to make it awkward to remove them (except if you own a hammer).

Go to samknows - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

Enter your telephone number and find out what your expected adsl speed is. If you're more than a couple of mbit away from that, summat's up - but it could be as simple as dodgy household wiring (very common) or crap microfilters (also very common)

BTW, I *dream* of 3mbit, but I live many miles from my exchange. To be honest, looking at the cable threaded through the hedges that supplies me, it's a miracle I even get voice.

If high speed is important, do what a friend did. Find out where the exchanges are and draw a circle around them, then look for houses within that circle...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back