noisy boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a ideal classic rs40 wall boiler and its started making loud banging noises!
i have also had a heating element replaced in the central heating tank in the airing cupboard and was told that there was a lot of slug in there. They told me i should get the hole lot replaced as it could pack up at any time. great hay! the water tank is split cold on top and hot on the bottom can you tell me what the problem is or if/how it could be solved. also what sort of price would you expect to pay for all this to be replaced. kind regard steve. :cry: :(

Sponsored Links
Boiler banging noises are normally caused by lack of water in the system or poor circulation of water in the system. Poor circulation could be due to failing pump or maybe excessive build-up of mineral deposits on the boilers heat exchanger. Without seeing or hearing the system it is difficult to say.

Dunno about the hot water cylinder though, normally you would expect it to be hot at the top, heat rising and all.

ArtfulBodger said:
Dunno about the hot water cylinder though, normally you would expect it to be hot at the top, heat rising and all.

Unless its a fortic :D

Sponsored Links
thebees said:
i have also had a heating element replaced in the central heating tank in the airing cupboard and was told that there was a lot of slug in there.

Not only do I get about a bit I can reach the parts that pedanticvindictiveman cant reach!! (Private Joke)

Not much information to go on there! My take on it is that you have described a fortic or similar [white wolf perhaps] cylinder with a combined storage cistern and a boiler with a knackered thermostat!

Send a picture of the tank or the name of it at least. Is there a 15mm cold water connection at the top? Does it have a loose lid?
Is the cylinder dome shaped at the top? Is there a plastic storage tank above it?

The sludge is probably the remains of a sacrificial anode, it goes to a jelly type mush when it's been in a few years and get drawn down into to hot (bottom) part of the combi cylinder. Artful is right but you could have a failed or failing boiler stat/cylinder stat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back