what does a 3 port motorised valve do ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hoping you can help, please.
I have just had my old thermostat and programmer replaced with digital ones.

Due to the "wonderful" wiring when my original boiler went in (wire starts off grey in the boiler, ends up blue in the airing cupboard), the plumber can only get the heating to work if the 3 port valve is set to manual permantly.

Not knowing what the 3 port motorised valve does, i wondering if anyone could explain what impact this has please ?

Many thanks
Jason

Sponsored Links
the three port valve sends heat to either hot water tank or radiators (or both together) as requested by programmer and/or thermostats.

thank you.

so leaving it on manual all the time, instead of automatic, what does this do / what impact does this have on the system ?

You will have the heating AND hot water on whenever either is switched on. The wiring for these is not rocket science, all it needs is a little patience and some testing to find out which wire does what.

Sponsored Links
Is it a 'Y' Plan, or a 'W' Plan?

You may not be able to have heating and hot water on together.

Mr. W.

If you search on the internet for the make and model of valve, you should be able to find the wiring diagram.

Also, if you look at the "similar topics" at the bottom of the page, you should find more help there.

Are there any identifying numbers on the 3-port valve? If so, what are they?

its a Honeywell V4073A 3 Port Motorised Valve, brand new, so the instructions are with it.

i believe its just an issue with the wiring which changes colour in the walls, so doesnt match up at either end :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back